What does a nanny get her employer for Christmas?

I'm a nanny stuck on what to get my employers for Christmas. The family I work for is extremely wealthy and needs for nothing. I'd like to give them something thoughtful for Christmas because I know they will be giving me something nice (and expensive). How do I reciprocate on a budget without appearing too cheap?? Any ideas for family gifts? There are three kids--boys.

Favorite Answer

Take some snapshots of the kids being kids, and one of all of them together - close up of their faces. Then make the black and white (computer can do this) and put it in a scrapbook or frame. Then just give them a regular christmas card. No need to thank them. You are the one raising their kids.

I have had 2 nannies over 5 years - the best Christmas gift I received was a short (5 - 6 page) scrapbook for my kids - just a few pictures with some memories of the silly things my kids did while I was gone.

I cherish the fact that my nanny shared these little stories with me (like the day my nanny handed my Daughter a bottle of water and she said - no, this can't be water, there are no mountains on the bottle!). These are small things - but things that I miss because I am not at home. I hope you know that you play a huge role in this family's life - you don't need to spend money, just write down those stories! I think a gift for the kids is a good idea too - a picture of you with the boys in an appropriate frame is plenty. Merry Christmas!

• simo

Nanny Gifts

I used to be a nanny and encountered this situation several times. You don't have to get the parents anything. If you are particularly close to them, you could bake them cookies and put them in a nice tin. But you should get a gift for the kids. I don't know how old they are, so it's difficult to come up with ideas. Hopefully you will get money as a gift and this will more than offset any expense for the gifts you purchase the kids. It doesn't have to be anything extravagant. Make sure it is something that shows thought. Maybe on your last day before the holidays, you can do something special with the kids. Maybe you could make a gingerbread house together or bake something. The parents will appreciate that much more than a gift. Good luck!

Gifts For Nanny

I would buy the boys each something small or make them a little bag of goodies. For the employer, Maybe let the boys help prepare a special gift for their parents such as gingerbread cookies. As you are doing this snap several pics of the kids. Then run to the local photo printing place have the snapshots printed up 1hr photo and put them in a little album to give with the gift of goodies. You'd be helping the kids do something nice for their parents and the parents would appreciate the time and money it took you to do that for them. Sort of a gift from all of you.

I worked as a nanny for several years. One time I made a gift basket with a "family movie night" theme. I got a set of popcorn bowls, 2 dvds, microwave popcorn, twizzlers ect. Most of the time though, I just gave the parents a card and bought toys for the kids.

I think these are very cute and cheap ( and useful) and I always use these when I want to give a gift without spending a lot of money.

I use these all the time as stocking stuffers or for Secret Santa parties.

and people always seem to love them and ask where I got them. Great for guy or gal.

http://www.herculittles.com/home.htm

They also have a great sale going on

I hope this helps.

A nice present could be a Gift Card. You can get some interestings Gift Cards here for free. Check here:

http://apresentforyou.net/

I would give them a thank you letter for trusting me with there children and a box of cookies or chocolate.to .Our make a medium fruit basket and put the thank you letter with it .Or a basket with a set of mugs and cookies some Coffee or hot chocolate bags and your letter.Just don't forget its the thought that counts have a good holiday.