How long does it take for toxicology reports to come back after someone dies?

My sister was found dead in her bed almost 3 months ago and we have not gotten the toxicology report back as yet. Our family needs closure.

Favorite Answer

Sorry about this. It's a horrible thing to live with.

It really depends on how busy the lab is. Criminal matters usually take precedence. Usually it's 6-8 weeks. This seems to be an unreasonable amount of time by any standards though. I would contact the ME (medical examiner) and ask what's taking so long. If they dont respond, you COULD get a court order to make them respond. However, if you are in a district where this is the normal time frame, you may just have to wait.

You dont say if there is any suggestion of foul play. If there is, it could be that the evidence is being withheld pending investigation. That is also a possiblility. If there is a possible drug related cause, they may be investigating that as well. In either case, I believe you have a right to know what's going on. You may need an attorney if you cant get a response.

Call the ME's office. The take time but unless the lab has real budget problems, they should be ready in three months.

Source(s): 20+ years practicing law