How can I import video clips from my HD camera into a video editing application?

Okay, my dad bought this new HD camera from Sony. You can choose to take video shots in High Definition or standard definition. I took some HD video clips for a school project to make a video put I can't import the clips into Windows Movie Maker or Adobe Premier to edit the video clips and make a movie. The... show more Okay, my dad bought this new HD camera from Sony. You can choose to take video shots in High Definition or standard definition.

I took some HD video clips for a school project to make a video put I can't import the clips into Windows Movie Maker or Adobe Premier to edit the video clips and make a movie. The video clips won't even open with Windows Media Player. I can only view them on my computer using a special program that came with the camera.

I took some video clips in Standard definition and it worked fine, but with HD, I can't do anything with the video outside that program. Any ideas of what I should do. Thanks!