Southern life. First choice, Alabama?

I am from upstate New York. [Not the city, or anywhere close.] And I would love to live in the south. A very very small town. Farm girl like me, would I enjoy the south?

Favorite Answer

I know a lot of people who moved down South and stayed forever, who wouldn't think of moving back up north. Don't know of anyone who ever went north, though, and didn't want to come back South with all their hearts.

Alabama (I live in a small town called Montevallo and yes, I am surrounded by Christian conservatives) has a bad rap with the nation for a lot of things that happened in the 50s and 60s. It seems that people up north don't really want to think that the South might actually progress beyond that and heal itself. Which is fine with most folks from the South. We'd just as soon ya'll stay up there and leave us to suffer down here amidst all our backwards ways :-)

There are things you'd miss, like snow on Christmas Day, but mild winters make up for that. I've been all over the USA and the world. When I left to join the Navy I was looking for a place to live, so I could get away from Alabama. But in the end I came back, because, frankly, there is no place better. Go visit a town called Clanton around July and taste a peach and you might stay forever :-)

What a great question. Believe it or not, I have family in Canisteo, NY and also family near Huntsville, Alabama. My family in NY would LOVE to live in Alabama. Try looking at the outskirts of Huntsville - maybe Decatur, Ardmore or Athens. These are all really beautiful small local towns. Great people and the cost of living is insanely fabulous :) . The advantage to one of those towns is that you are far enough away from Huntsville to enjoy plenty of space, but close enough to get to airports, shopping etc without traveling for hours. You'll feel secluded enough and there are lots of real estate options to choose from down there. If you love horses, you'll also be close enough to go to Celebration (huge event - lots of Tennessee Walking horse). There's also several excellent stables in those outskirt areas.

Best wishes!

• Tommy

Yes you would. The weather is the biggest draw. The summers are a bit humid but most get used to it. Everything is air conditioned. The people are friendly across the South and there are thousands of small towns that you will love. My favorites are Dyersburg, Tennessee, Hattiesburg, Mississippi and Mena, Arkansas

The further south you go, the more horrid, hot, humid, summers you'll experience. North Carolina is wonderful- not too hot in the summer, but fifty degrees in December. Virginia, though, is beautiful, nice in the summer but you'll still see snow in the winter.

(sigh. I'm in Ohio now. I miss the south. Good luck.)

I went to america last year (im from australia) and i really loved nashville. It seemed so peaceful. I was a bit shocked though at the amount of guns around but other than that i really liked nashville, tennessee.

GO TITANS!!

Depends, do you mind super religious right wing types? I have lived in Georgia for 18 years and am saturated by them!