Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsOther - Diseases · 1 decade ago

How does sertraline (generic zoloft) work for anxiety and panic?

I need some good meds for anxiety and panic and was just prescribed to sertraline (generic zoloft)....how goood does it work for anxiety and panic?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

In English: Seratonin is a "chemical" in the brain that is responsable for a sense of well-being and helps regulate sleep.

In your brain, these chemicals are released, float around for a bit, and then re-absorbed by the brain. It is while the chemical is "floating around" that you feel the effects of it (well-being, calmness). If your body re-absorbs the chemical, seratonin, too fast you may feel anxious and have a sense of feeling anxiety or non-well-being.

What Zoloft does is it prevents your brain from re-absorbing seratonin too fast so you can feel the effects. I take it and it seemed to help a lot with my anxiety but didnt change my personality at all.

Hence the reason it is called a SSRI: Selective Seratonin Reuptake Inhibitor

• Login to reply the answers
  • Debra
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

I've taken a lot of medications in the past for bi-polar, anxiety, depression, and paranoid schizophrenia . But I took the regular Zoloft and it didn't really help me. Actually to be honest no medications ever worked for me. So ended up stoping all of them and worked on everything myself. And when I felt anxious or nervous I would smoke some weed, and I would clam down. It helped me relax and feel better. And honestly that's the only thing that has ever helped. You probably don't want to do that because weed is looked down upon, but it's not half as bad as alcohol. Alcohol, makes people depressed, weed makes people happy. Alcohol makes people angry, weed makes people..well...happy. Alcohol makes people drive drunk and potentially kill people, weed makes people too lazy to even think about driving. Alcoholic fathers and mothers abuse their children, pothead mothers and fathers usually don't and are more mellow and understanding. It should be legal, and alcohol shouldn't.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

Here's where Zoloft depression actually steps in, proven to be a safe and very effective treatment for various types of depression as well as anxiety, Zoloft depression has actually been around for around 12 years. Patients have been proven to respond well to treatments from Zoloft depression while doctors favor Zoloft depression's availability in various strengths, this way, someone who's suffering from depression doesn't have to settle for something else just cause they don't have the right dosage available, with Zoloft depression, it's hard to not get the right dosage for you.

In a nutshell, Zoloft depression is actually a type of antidepressant which is known to people as "selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor" or SSRI. It's well-known to be a good treatment for patients over the age of eighteen that are being treated for the following: depression, posttraumatic disorder or PTSD, social anxiety disorder, panic disorder, premenstrual dysphoric disorder or PMDD and obsessive-compulsive disorder or OCD.

http://www.my-canada-pharmacy.com

http://www.lolarspharmacy.com

http://www.rx-pharmacy-online.com

• 4 years ago

sertraline generic zoloft work anxiety panic

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The action of this drug is that it decreases the uptake of serotonin in the CNS which will increase the activity of serotonin. It decreases panic attacks, decreases ocd behavior, decreases feelings of intense fear helplessness or horror, decreases social anxiety and decreases premenstrual dysphoria. It depends on the person. Each person has a different reaction to drugs so its hard to tell whether how good it works. I know someone who was on this and hated it and another person who loved it so.....

• 1 decade ago

If you don't like zoloft (which can cause sexual dysfunction) try either celexa or lexapro. I had better results with those.

• 1 decade ago

it makes you get more seritonin

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

it helps your brain but its not an anxiety medication you need to talk to your doctor

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.