Negation: Math Term. What does this mean?

Does negation mean "not true"? Is it the opposite of p? How can I create its symbol in a word doc? Are there any credible sites I can go to for more information? Please explain your answers and give example(s).
Update: Diane; Yes, you seem to be right on track. As per this site just found, it clarifies what you have said. That was a justifiable answer and is as descriptive as you could make it. It was just confusing to me. This is my first assignment and have no clue (or ~p I know all about this) lol... show more Diane;
Yes, you seem to be right on track. As per this site just found, it clarifies what you have said. That was a justifiable answer and is as descriptive as you could make it. It was just confusing to me. This is my first assignment and have no clue (or ~p I know all about this) lol Thanks!
http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~dwilkins/LaTeXPrimer/MathSymb.html
Update 2: on that site; the info is about 1/2 down the page under negated relations.
Update 3: I need one more person to give an answer before I can vote for best answer : (
0