Christians....Are the 10 Commandments Null and Void?

24 Answers

Relevance
  • Hogie
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The ten commandments are the core of the old covenant between God and Israel. Christians were never a party to that covenant, so your question is irrelevant.

You cannot be held to the conditions of a covenant you were never a party to, and a covenant that ended, which it did.

• 1 decade ago

The 10 Commandments should still be kept.

What some people don't understand is that there are TWO laws referred to in the Old Testament. There are the moral 10 commandments given to us by God himself, and then there are the ceremonial laws written by Moses for the Jews.

When Christ died, the Bible says in Colossians 2:14 what was nailed to the cross were the handwritten ordinances of man. The 10 commandments were not handwritten by man, only the ceremonial laws were written by Moses were done away with because Jesus became that sacrificial lamb instead. The moral laws were given by God and will always be in effect.

The New Testament says:

John 14:15 If you love me, keep my commandments,

Matthew 5:18 For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law.

Revelation 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The Ten Commandments are not null and void. Look at any religion and they have guides to live by which are basically the same as the 10 commandments.

If nothing else, they're a guide to better living with others. Check them out and see if you'd like to live with neighbours who tried to live by them or live with neighbours who didn't try to live their lives by them.

I know I'd prefer to live next to people who try to follow the Top 10.

Sadly, people just don't try to live by these powerful guides to better living. I feel a person doesn't have to be religious in anyway to make the world a better place by following these or the 'commandments' of other religions.

Take Buddhism for example, it's a gentle religion which strives to improve the world for all people regardless of religious stance.

There is at present only one religion which espouses one belief but operates from another. This religion's 'commandments' are null and void by its attempts to destroy other religions for it's own ends.

• HAYAH
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

The Commandments are still in forced according to Paul; even after Christ left.

Romans 13: 8-10. (Exodus 20: 3-17)

He is saying, if you love each other (your neighbor), you will not do those things that are written in the Commandments that say (not to do), against your neighbor.

It's simple enough...yet it's hard...right?

Let that be the reason Paul also stated this about Christ, whom had died for our sins. (the transgressions of the law). Romans 7: 13-25.

I pray this makes sense to you.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The Main Covenant the 10 Commandments are still in FULL FORCE!

To say that the Law/Torah has been nailed to the cross is totally

incorrect. What was nailed to the cross? The handwriting against us is

all the laws we have broken, the docket with our misdemeanors is what

was nailed to the cross & Y'shua took away the curse of the Law for

those who accept His death on the cross. Now we are saved by Grace

through faith, not of works lest any should boast. BUT our delight is in

following Messiah Y'shua & His Commandments, which are the very

same one given by YHWH God.

IF YOU LOVE ME KEEP MY COMMANDMENTS!

• 1 decade ago

A NEW will and testament makes the OLD null and void.

If the first one were faultless, no need for a second one.

We are not under the law, but under grace... Romans

Clarity: not under the law if led of the Spirit... Galatians

Christ is the end of the law: Romans 10:4;

Christ is not the mend of law: Luke 5:36,37

What's "evident" from all the biblical evidence:

No man is justified by the law in the sight of God

If justified by the law, then fallen from grace to law;

And then Christ is of no effect to you: Galatians 5:4.

Then saying Peace & Safety in law results in no escape:

1Thessalonians 5:3....... Hebrews 7:23........ Jude 1:5

The GRACE of our Lord Jesus Christ with you all. Amen.

• 1 decade ago

Some Christians believe that when Christ came and "fulfilled the law" that is somehow nullified the 10 commandments. I disagree with this notion. NO WHERE does CHrist say that.

He came to fulfill the Law of Moses - those traditions, rites and symbolic 'laws' of sacrafice, etc ONLY. His commandments remain in force. 10 Commandments and others. Like - "Multiply and Replenish the earth." which I believe also remains in force.....

• 1 decade ago

No they are not. Nine of the ten are repeated in the New Testament. The only one not repeated was about observing the Sabbath on what we know as Saturday. Christians are allowed to observe the Sabbath on any day of the week. However, Jesus gave us two more commandments. Love the Lord your God with all of your heart, mind and soul, and love your neighbor as yourself.

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

No, the 10 Commandments are obligatory for ALL Christians.

• 1 decade ago

No, but the law itself does not bring salvation. Following the Ten Commandments is not enough.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.