Ex-girlfriend keeps saying sorry for leaving me, what does this mean?

my girlfriend of 2 years recently left me, and each time i have tried to make contact with her she has spoken a little and said she is sorry for leaving me. today i decided to drop round her christmas card and present early, as had bought early because didn't expect this so i slotted her card and present ( a ring)... show more my girlfriend of 2 years recently left me, and each time i have tried to make contact with her she has spoken a little and said she is sorry for leaving me. today i decided to drop round her christmas card and present early, as had bought early because didn't expect this so i slotted her card and present ( a ring) through her mailbox along with a short note saying im sorry that we couldnt last i really wanted us to work and then this evening she spoke to me and said thankyou for the ring it was really sweet but a little bit big (typical me lol can never guess sizes right) but she said it was really nice and that shes really sorry for leaving me. i'm getting really confused, because if she is so sorry why did she do it or do you think maybe she just needs the time apart or something to make her want me back.

How can i get her to want me back and why does she keep saying sorry?
Update: she says that she left me because she just wanted to have some time to herself and with her friends, shes not the kind of person to cheat really she gets too emotional