Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 decade ago

Question about renting?

My husband & I are currently renting a house and the lease is up Jan.31st. We will be moving 4 hours away and I've already been searching online for places to check out. My question is....when is it a good time to physically see these places? I was thinking mid December to make the trip, but I don't know if that would be too soon. Any realtors have advice? Thank you!

Favorite Answer

If you're going to be renting in the new location, recognize that some of the specific properties you look at in mid-December will be rented for a lease beginning February 1.

Nevertheless, that timing sounds about right. It'll certainly give you an opportunity to check out the different communities or areas. That's a big part of the decision about where to live--not just the specific house, but the neighborhood.

And, as for the specific home search, I'd be nervous waiting until some time in January when I'd hope to find a place for February 1.

So, sure, mid-December seems pretty good. You may find the specific house. If not, at least you'll have identified specific neighborhoods.

Good luck.

I'd go NOW. And expect a couple trips. Be certain to carefully examine the neighborhood as a whole (particularly on weekend nights) and ask other tenants in your target building how the management is.

I'd try for a 6 month lease to be re-newed if you like the place. I'd also expect to ultimately not like the first place I lived. Don't be too disappointed if you don't like it or the landlord is a pain.

I would start looking now. Most landlords will not hold a place for you for more than a month, but the application process can take time. If you start now then you should have something on hold by January.

Source(s): I'm a property manager.