Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsHockey · 1 decade ago

why are north american rinks smaller than the rest of the world?

my guess is that the dumb canadiens started it.or did the nhl?--quite ridiculous in my opinion since the game would be a lot faster with the larger rink.

Favorite Answer

Why are baseball stadiums different from one another? History has a lot to do with rink size (Boston garden vs. Montreal forum) etc.

Hockey basically started in Canada and adapted to Europe. Since the IOC is a European club, the Europe game is what became Olympic hockey.

There are pros and cons to changing rink size but I would go with tradition, specially considering that a rink size is essentially a fixed parameter that can't be changed after the fact. I watched a game on Olympic ice this morning and I don't agree that it speeds up the game. In many ways it slows it down (even though there is more skating going on).

2 related historical notes

Scandinavia and Russia play an outdoor hockey game played on frozen football fields. Needless to say there is a lot of skating and no checking. I am not even sure of they use boards.

The formal game of hockey was started in Canada, that much is known. However, the development of skating as well as the first games of field hockey on ice may have been played in Holland on frozen canals (you won't hear that at the Hockey Hall of Fame). The main museum in Amsterdam has a troubling painting that shows just such games many decades before the hockey game was formalized in MTL in the late 1900s.

Source(s): Full blooded Canadian

The small rinks are better. They could be a little bigger, but I wouldn't want NHL rinks the size of international rinks. The small North American ice is the reason there's so much hitting and physicality in hockey. Have you ever watched European hockey? There's almost no hitting at all. I've watched it and I don't think it's nearly as good. Just as few goals, but no big hits. It's like soccer on ice with sticks over there.

I don't agree at all that it's better, though the NHL rink could be a little bigger(just to cut down on trapping), but not that big.

You guess wrong. The dumb Euros didn't know how to convert feet and inches into metric dimensions and so ended up with a larger rink.

Actually there was no rule on the size of ice surfaces until fairly recently. Maybe another answerer can cite that reference. But international ice surfaces were initially used for figure skating and adopted that sports dimensions to their rinks. The larger ice surface of the Europeans created a slightly different game in which team skills (passing and patterns) were emphasized over individual skills (puck control and shooting). Thus the differences in skill sets between Euro trained and North American trained players today.

An Olympic or European, rink is larger very much like an Olympic swimming pool is larger.

Source(s): Way to be ignorant too.

My theory is that (at least among those in the NHL) the majority of Europeans play a game that places much more of an emphesis on speed, skill, precision & teamwork; whereas there are Canadians prefer a dump-and-chase, forecheck like it's war style.

Source(s): Just my two cents eh .. I know Don Cherry likely won't take my calls after reading this, but I speak from experience as a rink I played at (formerly managed by Andre Lacroix) has both olympic and standard size rinks.

Smaller ice surfaces mean more room for seats in the building. More seats in the building means potential for more ticket sales. More ticket sales means more people in the building. More people in the building means more concession/merchandise sales. You get the picture, it boils down to profits.

Now all of this is rendered useless if you are say the Florida Panthers and your building is typically empty.

because those are the orinial dimention, later on when Hockey was expanded in Europe they expanded it