Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 decade ago

Primewell Tires: What is your opinion?

I was looking for a new set of tires for my old 1995 Nissan Quest with 190,000 miles. I always get the best in my budget like Michelin and BFGoodrich, but it's time its different. I'm just looking for the cheapest new tires and came across these Primewell PS850. They're economy tires available at Bridgestone/Firestone Car Care.

This is what I found so far. Primewell are NOT designed by Bridgestone/Firestone. They are designed by GITI tires, China's largest manufacturer so yes, it's made in China. P205/75R15, passenger all-season, It has 3 ply tread and 1 ply sidewall with a max load of 1598 lbs at 35 psi. S rated and 40,000 miles warranty. Meets DOT standard. $41.99 per tire. You get what you pay.

I'm not expecting anything amazing, they're not $120 Michelin.

Has anyone own a set of Primewell and what is your experience on these Tires? What is your opinion on Primewell tires?

Favorite Answer

I sell Primewells. You are getting exactly what you pay for and not a penny more. If you are at all discerning about your tires (and it certainly sounds like you are) then you may not be happy with them. They ain't no Michelin's. If you live where it snows then forget it - any traction you get in snow is purely accidental.

Otherwise Primewell's are black, round, hold are and are durable enough.

We just got the Valera Touring put on a 2003 Windstar and they are by far the loudest tires I've ever had. It sounds like 2 helicopters flying 20 ft. above me. You can't hear the person sitting next to you and turning up the radio doesn't even cover it. It's also a very loud white noise which may help kids in the back fall asleep but it will also put the driver to sleep. I haven't had them long enough to say about traction, only that they are better than the previously worn Cooper tires we had on (which also sucked on traction & wear but was much quieter). I want them off or get rid of the van. After not driving the van for a day or two, I'll start to think it can't be that bad but then I start driving it & despite knowing it's loud, I still am amazed and infuriated at just how LOUD. I can't drive the car without feeling like I'm being tortured. They said it will quite down after breaking it in but it's been well over 500 miles and it hasn't changed. The tires are the only point of contact to the ground, I'd say pay the extra money and get ones you know are good or have proven good ratings. There is nothing much out there on these.

Primewell Tires

Seems like some people either think these are have a pretty positive or pretty negative view of these tires. I owned some years ago on the Civic I had and they were fine in the rain and snow. Maybe not as good as some of the more expensive tires, but I'd say they are pretty decent and a lot less $$$. Also they are made by the same company that makes GT Radial Tires, which I think everyone would agree is of exceptional quality.

I had Primewall HT tires on a used pickup truck 2 yrs ago. The dealer put new brakes on it, new battery, new belts, new generator etc. And also 4 new itres Valera Primewell HT. Well I now have 40,000 miles on them the fronts are almost needing replacing, the backs are in a little better shape. I have never had a tire last over 30,000 for years from every tire sales garage in my county. They all give the same ole BS that theirs is the best etc etc. They just want to sell their crap to whoever. So I am quite happy with my use of these tires. We dont have mush snow problems in central Fla. But true when it rains if I speed up fast they will slip, simple answer: When the roads are wet DRIVE SLOWER ANYWAY. So I am gonna find a dealer & get the same tires again

Primewell tires are good tires for the money, though I'd get Primewell Valera Touring if available. As of now (10/14/2014) they are on sale for about 15% off. Warranty (for my car 1996 Neon) is 50k rather than 40k, so the Valera Touring is a better tire for barely any more money. Also, less road noise, good for me as I really don't like road noise! Maybe not as nice as top selling tires, but still a decent tire. I'm in Florida, so I'm not concerned about snow or ice, but the sun can kill a tire too. I've never had a problem though.

I have the Primewell Valera HT. 2 weeks after installing them it rained and while driving home I go around a small corner and the car starts fish tailing like crazy. Not very good in wet weather or snow. Today about a year after they were installed the rear end of the car started pulling sideways leaving a stop light, again raining. I have found them to have poor traction even in dry conditions, as I can always feel the rear of my Ram 1500 sliding. I am right now sitting in Firestone having Destination A/T tires put on because I am tired of the insecure feeling I get from these tires.

I just bought a used Primewell and a day later it started raining, wow I felt it right away when I hit a metal connection on the bridge, it slid a little and I felt it. I made a quick research and found out these brands has poor traction. Well needless to say I'm having it change asap, although the thread are still thick and good for another 50K miles, but not chancing it specially here in the East Coast.

These tires are GARBAGE!!! Only lasted a year and under 10,000 miles.

Dealer said the same thing to me, these are not Bridgestone tires.

They should all be recalled off the market before someone gets killed.

My tire started throwing off chunks of rubber while driving and cords hitting fender.

These tires are defective, with the tread delaminating along the edge while it still has good tread.

Going to buy Hankook H724 for $30 more and double the tread warranty.

Is your families life worth more than $30?

I bought a 2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4 about two years ago and it had a new set of Primewell Valera HT on it. I had never heard of it but was told it was a "value brand" (read: import) sold by Firestone dealers. Besides the road noise being a little louder that I like, I have not had a single problem with them I have 46K miles and counting on them and will probably blow past the 50K spec they promise. The majority of my driving is highway and interstate with a little small town traffic mixed in. I live in the lower Midwest and the traction is not the best on rain and snow but is acceptable if you don't drive like an idiot. All things considered, I would probably purchase another set.