Any good film schools out there?

My bf is looking for a good film school to do his studies. He is currently considering LA. I am a small town girl and cant bare to think of going there. I will be looking for an education job in a public shool. (little over a year from now) Are there any other suggestions to where we should go? We are currently in Indiana, want to get out of the cold.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I think Steven Speilberg graduated from the University of Southern California.

• 1 decade ago

The first question for your boyfriend to answer is what does he really want to do? There are a lot of different jobs available in the professional film industry. Getting a movie made takes more than just a Director and Actors.

So first, he must figure out what it is he SPECIFICALLY wants to do. Then, he needs to find all of the schools and/or workshops that will help teach that discipline. Then, he needs to sift through those to determine which are the best for him plus any other considerations, such as location and cost... and YOU. Think about what YOU want from your own life and what YOU expect from a life with HIM.

No one can tell you what school is best for him. That's something only your boyfriend can decide for himself. Once he's narrowed the choices down, he should contact each school and ask very specific questions about what they will offer in terms of curriculum that will help achieve the goals.

Having said all of that, you have to also understand that no school or degree will guarantee a job in the professional film industry. Most careers are built on networking, hard work, perseverance, enthusiasm, and passion. A bit of luck comes into play, but he shouldn't bet his life and career on something so improbable. Once he finds a school that suits his specific career needs, he should work to improve his odds by going out into the real world and interning or volunteering on actual productions. He should find a student film, an indie film, or just a local production company that will let him be there to observe how actual production works. He may be carrying cases or getting coffee, but getting away from the protected school environment and into the thick of the real world gives actual experience PLUS he'll be meeting people who may be able to help him achieve his career goals.

For the absolute most comprehensive worldwide list of filmschools available anywhere, visit http://www.whatireallywanttodo.com and click on the Filmschools link at the top. Also YOU and he should prepare yourselves by learning as much as you can about the real professional industry by reading What I Really Want to Do: On Set in Hollywood. Filmmaking isn't just a job...it's a lifestyle choice. You have your own life to live and if you plan to stay with your boyfriend, you should do yourself a favor and learn what life in the industry will really be like for him and for you.

School may teach your boyfriend how to make a movie. But by visiting http://www.whatireallywanttodo.com, YOU and He will learn how real movies are actually made and what your lives will be like.

Good luck!

Brian Dzyak

Cameraman/Author

IATSE Local 600, SOC

http://www.whatireallywanttodo.com

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.