Truth is Error? There is no facts, only interpretation? HELP!?

My mom keeps telling me this and I have no idea what it means. She's big into philosophy, so can someone please put this in simple terms for me and elaborate.

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

There are facts, but they are not the same as truth. In any given moment, you are surrounded by literally billions of facts, from the air pressure on your skin to the wavelengths of light entering your eyes. However, your conscious mind would overload if you had to be aware of everything your senses perceive. Your mind prioritizes sensory input, basing some of the order on your biology and some on your experiences and upbringing. However, as soon as you place facts in order to arrive at a truth for any given moment or situation, you'll have betrayed certain cognitive biases. It is unavoidable. The best we can hope for is to be as aware of our own cognitive biases as possible. Good luck. Sounds like you have a great Mom.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

From an anthropological standpoint, it means that society creates its own truth from what it has to work with. We create our own social systems, our own belief systems, our own moral and ethical systems, and our own power systems without really knowing it. Truth, in the sense that we really think about it, is really not possible. We make things fact even though there is really no such thing as what is right. Have you ever noticed how all of these things change over time with society? Take for a simple example the belief that the earth was flat. 1,000 years ago, that was truth and fact. Now, we deem it truth and fact that the earth is more like a ball. The way we interpret things is really not fact at all, but just the way in which we can make sense of things given our current time and place in society.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's called post-modernism. The idea that there is no truth only personal perception. 30 years ago such people were put in white padded rooms - for their protection and ours. Nowadays these people are celebrated as deep thinkers.

Like many crazy world-views however, most people who ascribe to it do so only in theory and not in practicality. Your mom may say that there is no truth and try and defend it with words, but her actions would contradict her empty words most likely.

In any case, her statement is self-defeating. How can it be true that there are no truths? If that statement is true, then it's false. Think about it.. lol

I find that physical pain can snap people out of this illusion. Truth suddenly seem very real and true when you stub your toe against the couch.

• 1 decade ago

This is called post-modernism. It is the opinion that everything is a matter of opinion; there is no ultimate truth. It is a very prevalent philosophy in western culture these days, and is quite dangerous when taken to it's logical conclusion; there is no truth (so nothing is false) and there is no such thing as bad or good... only "different"... so the Nazi's weren't really evil, they were just "different." <gag>.

here is a great website that covers a lot of post-modern ideas. here are links to some videos that discuss the problem of post-modernism. It is a Christian site, so there is a lot of Christian stuff too, because post-modernism is a big problem in the modern church, but you can learn a bit about post-modernism there. http://post-postmodernism.blogspot.com/

then google post-modernism and read more.

In short; the belief that everything is a matter of belief or opinion, and there is no TRUTH is a deception.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

This is a matter of definition. If we define a fact as a datum that can be reasonably agreed upon by unbiased observers, there are obviously facts; if you drop a rock on your toe, you will hurt yourself. It is a fact that the speed of light in a vacuum is constant, and it is a fact that an atom of carbon has about twelve times the mass of an atom of hydrogen. These are not issues which are subject to interpretation. Tell your mother that I would be delighted to discuss philosophy with her if she is interested in doing so.

• 1 decade ago

What she is saying is that everything you perceive is subjective, filtered through your own psyche and prejudices. There may or may not be an objective reality, but it doesn't matter because even if there is, no two people can perceive it in precisely the same way, and there is no way to know which subjective perception is closest to objective reality, if such exists at all.

Einstein said it pretty well-- "Reality is an illusion, albeit a very persistent one".

• 1 decade ago

I don't know much about what your mom told you. I do know that it's important to specify the topic of what truth is supposed to illuminate. If the subject is eternal life, then my source is Jesus Christ as reported in the Bible. This is what he said concerning the truth:

John 3:11

I tell you the truth, we speak of what we know, and we testify to what we have seen, but still you people do not accept our testimony.

• OPM
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

You need to read 1984 and you will understand. Skip all of the above stuff, she is quoting directly out of 1984.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

She's pretty much telling you that truth is relative. What we believe becomes our reality and that reality becomes the filter of perception through which we see the world.

Perception is our reality.

• 1 decade ago

Ask her if you being her daughter and her being your moms are facts or just interpretations?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.