how safe is it to use a kerosene heater?

before anybody decides to talk crap, my furnace in my basement is broke and it will take 1,000 dollars to fix and apply oil and my power in my room is out because of a bad circuit.I have a baby and my house is freezing.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Foggy
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Yes you can use one. They were perfectly fine for hotels and motels during the 19th century. The newest ones have a tip safety switch. Knock it over and it shuts down. They have vastly improved the burner on the latest models. Their are a couple of things you need to know. If you use cheap kerosene you will have a kerosene smell in the house. Number one grade is costly but less smelly. Never let the tank run dry or the wick will burn up quickly and the heater will be useless. It won't be pretty to fix either. I was a Kerosun authorized repairman. They are pretty decent heaters, but you will still smell the kerosene.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    If you have NO money to fix the furnace then get in touch with your local dept that would take care of medicare and such, you can apply for a new furnace at no or minimal cost and they will help you with oil bills too. Maybe even the electric.

    I wouldn't take a chance w the kerosene heater, if it's not a new one in great shape it may give off fumes that would not be good for the baby.

    I've used one and it gave me a headache from the fumes.

    Go stay with a friend.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • alvarz
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

    kersoene is okay but keep a window open enough for air to circulate.

    Or you can get a 12 guage (wire size) extension cord and plug in an electric heater. I prefer the oil-filled type. that way you can keep the window closed.( dont get an extension cord that has a smaller wire size)

    Source(s): contractor
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    Alverez: My bad, I meant ot TU you. Fat fingers are a curse. I agree with your assessment.

    Asker: If you are going to use any open burner type unit, you MUST supply an outside venting for the fumes.

    Source(s): IMHO
    • Login to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Lee D
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

    The unit has to be vented to the outside.I personally wouldn't use one because of the possible of a leak and carbon monoxide poisoning but I hear you,and you gotta do what you gotta do to stay warm.be careful.

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.