DC Power Supply Basics of Using ?

I have a DC power supply. I have a a piece of equipment that uses 12vdc I connect the positive and negative.. set the power supply to 12 volt and nothing happens. Any suggestions?

The Power supply is a Digital 0 to 30V @ 0-10A

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

1. Check first your source (power is Ok, the limiter is set for a safe amount of current, i.e. 3 amps, your connection is made + to Blue (24v), White to 0, check also your output is Ok (12v, 24v, etc)

2. Check your equipment is not shorted down (open switch, meter between mains and ground should read Open. If it reads any resistance is shorted and your PS will suffer).

3. Check for open fuses (right after the mains, there should be a fuse, maybe 2A, 3A, etc). Put your meter across and read resistance through the fuse.

4. Only after this you can connect the PS to the circuit.

5. After this point follow the current through the equipment circuit. Put one lead (the black lead) to common or ground, and move your read lead across the system to see where the voltage ceases to flow...Bingo!

Post what kind of apparatus you are checking, so we can help you better.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Paul F
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Do you see the display indicating 12 volts?

If you have a voltmeter, measure the output.

Are you using the right output terminals, Red for + and Black for -?

If you do not have a voltmeter, but you have an LED, connect it with a resistor in series on the range from 300 to 500 Ohms. You may have to reverse the polarity of the LED, it will be ON only in one direction.

If all this fails, post the results.

The equipment you are connecting may take a higher current than your supply is capable of. Be sure that the current limiting adjustment is not set too low. If this is the case, you will see the voltage to drop as soon as you connect the equipment.

• 1 decade ago

Many DC PSU's have a 'Current limit' dial, so you can limit the current going into the circuit you're testing.

Check that it isn't too low, if it is, you might not even be getting enough current out to power the equipment you're using.

Also, many have output switches. This allows you to power the PSU up to set up the voltage, but it doesn't turn on the output. Make sure these are also turned on, or your PSU won't be putting out anything!

• Andrew
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Some power supplies have an output enable switch or button which you need to hit before they will output the voltage you have set them to.

If that's it then feel free to feel a little silly, we all do things like that every now and then.

If that's not it then I can't think of anything to add to the answers already given.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.