Are my muscle relaxers not working?

Sorry for the double post, I posted this in injuries accidentally instead of in pain...

I am 21 years old, female, and have been having a lot of lower back/hip pain in the past 2 weeks. Yesterday it finally got to be too much so I went to a prompt care place. The doctor said it's probably soft tissue damage.

I was prescribed a muscle relaxer called Orphenadrine and an anti-inflammatory called Celebrex. Even when I'm on the muscle relaxer, my back/hip still hurts. Is the medicine not working, or does it just take a few days to let the medicine work out the kinks in my muscles? I thought for sure I would at least feel better while on the muscle relaxer but I'm still in pain. Does it just take awhile or could it be that this is not soft tissue damage at all?


I am not sure exactly how I injured it, but the more I think about it the more I think I did it while onstage in a play recently. I had lots of physical activity and crouching and hiding and I probably bent over too far and came up fast. That is the only thing I can think of. It hurts the most to sit and lay down, and also to go up the stairs. It's on my right, lower back.

Update 2:


It's gotten so bad now that I'm just gonna go to the ER. I talked to my uncle who is a doctor and he said if the muscle relaxers aren't working at all then it probably isn't a muscular issue and that I need to get an MRI as soon as possible.

7 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Hi there. Orphenadrine (Norflex or Norgesic) is usually choosen due low incidence of side effects such as drowsiness and fatique. Orphenadrine actually doesn't have fantastic efficacy. All drugs vary in the ability to be effective in doing what they are prescribed for. You should definitely stick with it a bit longer to see what happens. If not, you probably need to review what the origin of the pain is. Have a review with a physiotherapist and see a dr.

  • 1 decade ago

    well, first of all, what is the cause of your back pain? were you involved in a car accident or lifting heavy objects? If so, you might have a more serious problem than just a simple back pain. most of the time when you are involved in a car accident, even with the absence of major injury, your body will be sore for few days. when you take muscle relaxant, it takes days before it start to kick in. you need to take it on regular basis to keep a consistent amount of the medicine in your system.

  • 1 decade ago


    Great question!

    I'm sorry to hear about your pain; however, you may reflect on this experience and realize that your pain could potentially be saving your life.

    A bold claim, I know.

    Here's the deal - pain is the body's sign of telling you something is wrong and needs to be addressed. Ignoring the symptoms of pain simply by medicating the pain without dealing with the actual CAUSE of the hip and back pain could result in additional health challenges in the future (never mind the litany of potential side effects of the medication).

    Believe it or not, even the most "incurable" reasons for back pain can often be treated, mitigated or even healed completely using natural techniques that support your body's natural ability to heal. If anything, it's worth exploring further.

    To your good health,


  • rosana
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

    Fix Forward Head Posture Fast!

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

    Most likely I would highly recommend you to take glucosamine chondroitin, MSM, hyaluronic acid, especially hyaluronic acid (HA). Your joints are more likely swelling from fiction and bones growing than from pain. Muscle relaxers is better if you have growing prostate. HA is in synovial joint fluid & all over connective tissue of your body or extra cellular fluid. This fluid reduces friction from your bones growing grinding each other than growing more one from the friction. Take it orally you don't have to inject it. I think Osto-flex has it but I always buy it in pure pill form for my parents. Good Luck and hopefully no more pain.

  • 1 decade ago

    Celebrex -is prescribed for acute pain, menstrual cramps, and the pain and inflammation of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicine (NSAID) that is used to reduce pain and inflammation (swelling and soreness). Celebrex is a medicine for relief of osteoarthritis (the arthritis caused by age-related “wear and tear” on bones and joints), relief of rheumatoid arthritis in adults, management of acute pain in adults (like the short term pain you can get af

    Orphenadrine - is a drug used to treat pain, muscle spasm and other symptoms of injury and other problems. It is also used for treating some aspects of Parkinson's Disease.

    Source(s): M.L
  • 4 years ago


Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.