CSF
CSF asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 1 decade ago

How many times do you re-use your lancet?

Favorite Answer

I know that all the do-gooders out there will say that you shouldn't re-use the lancets etc etc. But when you are testing 4+ times per day, it is a major pain in the butt, it takes longer to change the damn thing than to actually perform the test (the test takes 5 seconds).

I usually change mine every second day or when it really hurts and its difficult to get blood out. I've never had any problems with re-using lancets for a couple of days.

Source(s): Type 1 for 5 years

I use my lancets for months or years without changing. You buy 100 it should last you the rest of your life. I test 4-6 times a day. I have been using my current lancet for at least 18 months.

• Lola

I change my lancet needle every day. Usually I check my blood 5 times a day, but sometimes it's a little bit more or less.

If it's only me using the lancet, I'm not really putting myself in danger. I change it not so much because it's unsanitary, but because the needle dulls quickly, and that makes it more painful.

I probably shouldn't do this, but changing a lancet as often as they say you should is a pain in the butt. I usually don't change mine until it becomes dull enough to hurt, usually after a few days if I check my sugar as often as I should. I do swab it with alcohol sometimes when I'm done, but changing the lancet after every use is a little too often for me ;)

you could probably get away with using it once a day because it is a small needle and will get dull real quick. but only if you are the only one using it. but why if the prescription usually matches the amount of test strips to lancets. one test strip for each lancet.

I work at a group home, and we have a diabetic. Her diabetes nurse said that she should change the lancet once a day. Since she's the only one using it, it's perfectly fine. She gets tested 6-8 times a day (she's very brittle), so I'd say change it every 6-8 times!

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): times lancet: https://tinyurl.im/71Rio
  • You are are supposed to use them once,

BUT, I hate all the garbage that I make as a diabetic, so I usually use one per day 5-10 tests) I do the same with syringes. I make sure I wash the test and injections sites well before and after.

Source(s): 34 yrs type 1

According to my diabetes educator, you can use it twice a day. if it is absolutely necessary. if you clean it with alcohol in between uses. It is not recommended though. The needles become duller after each use, and cause a more painful test for this reason. Best bet is to change before each test to assure no germs and a less painful finger prick. They are very cheap to buy, so why take the chance ??

Source(s): diabetic 17 years

1

Source(s): Help to Solve Diabetes http://reverseyourdiabetes.netint.info/?2318