Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 1 decade ago

Aside from Harrier jets, has there ever been a successfully employed VTOL or STOL aircraft in any military?

Update:

The Osprey as you say is tilt motor, but I will confess I had forgot about it - fairly large mistake there!

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, apart from the V-22 Osprey -- which strictly speaking is a tiltrotor and not a VTOL as such -- the Yak-141 was in service for some time. Also, it's not VTOL by any means, but the vectored thrust of the X-31 allowed incredibly short takeoffs and quite remarkable manoeuvres in general. There is a stack of other reasonably successful VTOL concept aircraft designated for military use, but essentially none of them made it past the prototype stage.

The F-35 has impressive VTOL/STOL abilities, however it is not in service as yet. Search for any vids you can find, they rock.

Check the links for more detailed info.

• 1 decade ago

Any aircraft that can take off and land vertically is a VTOL aircraft. Tiltrotors and helicopters as well.

Here is the best link for seeing all the V/STOL aircraft showing their similarities and differences. The 'wheel' is clickable so you can read more about each individual aircraft. Enjoy!

http://www.vstol.org/wheel/wheel.htm

• 1 decade ago

The STOL Pilatus Porter( PC-6)is used by militaries around the world. The U.S. used it in Vietnam. Many STOL versions of the Porter have been in use since the early 60's.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

the soviet union had the yak 38 in service for a few years.

then there is the V22 osprey.

and while it wasnt truly in service, there was the fore runner to the harrier, the kestral.

• 1 decade ago

As far as I know yes .

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.