What is the sure cure for ankylosing spondylitis?

I would like to know what is sure treatment for ankylosing spondylitis pls

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

No cure is known for AS, although treatments and medications are available to reduce symptoms and pain.

Physical therapy and exercise, along with medication, are at the heart of therapy for ankylosing spondylitis. Physiotherapy and physical exercises are clearly to be preceded by medical treatment in order to reduce the inflammation and pain and are commonly followed by a physician. This way the movements will help in diminishing pain and stiffness, while exercise in an active inflammatory state will just make the pain worse.

Medical professionals and experts in AS have widely speculated that maintaining good posture can reduce the likelihood of a fused or curved spine which occurs in a significant percentage of diagnosed persons. [24][25]

[edit]Medication

There are three major types of medications used to treat ankylosing spondylitis.

Anti-inflammatory drugs, which include NSAIDs such as aspirin, ibuprofen, indometacin, naproxen and COX-2 inhibitors, which reduce inflammation, and consequently pain. These drugs tend to have a personal response to the pain and inflammation, although commonly used anti-inflammatory drugs like nimesulide are less effective than others. Opioid analgesics have also been proven by clinical evidence to be very effective in alleviating the type of chronic pain commonly experienced by those suffering from AS, especially in low dose time-release formulations. While NSAIDs should generally be tried first, the use of opioid analgesics either apart from or in concert with NSAIDs should not be summarily dismissed for fear of addiction, as studies have shown that patients who properly take opioid analgesics for pain rarely suffer from addiction as a result of using such opioid therapy for pain relief purposes.

DMARDs such as cyclosporin, methotrexate, sulfasalazine, and corticosteroids, used to reduce the immune system response through immunosuppression;

TNFα blockers (antagonists) such as etanercept, infliximab and adalimumab (also known as biologics), are indicated for the treatment of and are effective immunosuppressants in AS as in other autoimmune diseases;

TNFα blockers have been shown to be the most promising treatment, slowing the progress of AS in the majority of clinical cases. They have also been shown to be highly effective in treating not only the arthritis of the joints but also the spinal arthritis associated with AS. A drawback is the fact that these drugs increase the risk of infections. For this reason, the protocol for any of the TNF-α blockers include a test for tuberculosis (like Mantoux or Heaf) before starting treatment. In case of recurrent infections, even recurrent sore throats, the therapy may be suspended because of the involved immunosuppression.

[edit]Surgery

In severe cases of AS, surgery can be an option in the form of joint replacements, particularly in the knees and hips. Surgical correction is also possible for those with severe flexion deformities (severe downward curvature) of the spine, particularly in the neck, although this procedure is considered risky.

In addition, AS can have some manifestations which make anaesthesia more complex.

Changes in the upper airway can lead to difficulties in intubating the airway, spinal and epidural anaesthesia may be difficult owing to calicification of ligaments, and a small number have aortic regurgitation. The stiffness of the thoracic ribs results in ventilation being mainly diaphragm-driven, so there may be a decrease in pulmonary function.

[edit]Physical therapy

All physical therapies must be approved in advance by a rheumatologist, since movements that normally have great benefits to one's health may harm a patient with AS; massages and physical manipulations should be practiced by therapists familiar with this disease. Some of the therapies that have been shown to benefit AS patients include:

Physical therapy/Physiotherapy, shown to be of great benefit to AS patients;

Swimming, one of the preferred exercises since it involves all muscles and joints in a low gravity environment;

Slow movement muscle extending exercises like stretching, yoga, tai chi, Pilates method, etc.

Moderate-to-high impact exercises like jogging are generally not recommended or recommended with restrictions due to the jarring of affected vertabrae that can worsen pain and stiffness in some patients.

[edit]Starch-free diet

The majority of patients with AS exhibit the HLA-B27 antigen and high levels of immunoglobulin A (IgA) in the blood. The HLA-B27 antigen is also expressed by Klebsiella bacteria, which is found in high levels in the feces of AS patients. A theory suggests that the presence of the bacteria may be a trigger of the disease, and reducing the amount of starch in the diet (which the bacteria require to grow) may be of benefit to AS patients. A test of this diet resulted in reduced symptoms and inflammation in patients with AS as well as IgA levels in individuals with and without AS.[26]

• 4 years ago

Ankylosing Spondylitis Treatment In India

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I am sorry. There is no cure for ankylosing spondylitis. If you can keep moving and slow the inflammatory process, then some movement may be retained. Unfortunately, the best medication appeared to be Bextra, which has been taken off the market. My son could walk when he was taking Bextra. He is not walking much now.

God bless, and good luck.

• 1 decade ago

There is no "cure" but you can take NSAIDS to help reduce swelling, muscle relaxers for the spasms. I take an anti depressant because I've been dealing with it for 17 years.

Exercise all you can, stay active, follow your doctors advice, like I didn't.

I read in a European medical journal that you can get an operation where the Dr scrapes the excess calcium from the spine and inserts pins to keep you in an upright position.

Source(s): I'm an AS patient
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Hollis
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

cure ankylosing spondylitis

• 1 decade ago

My husband has AS. Unfortunately, there is no cure. We wish there was, but there isn't. The only thing you could do is to follow your doctor's advice and if you are on medication for it, keep taking them.

Source(s): my life for 17 yrs
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Really bad...have you seen him lately? Poor Bob! If you haven't read "The Dirt" yet, go get it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.