WHERE ARE THE PAGAN HOLIDAYS? If the Holidays forum can have lesser known holidays like Dasara & Diwali....?

... why don't they have some very important Pagan holidays, such as Beltane, Samhain, Ostara, Imbolc, and the Solstices?

Is this fair? Pagans have a huge contribution to Religion and Spirituality, why are our holidays NOT LISTED IN THE HOLIDAY SECTION? And how do we go about getting them listed?

People have suggested that since there are more Hindus than Pagans in the world, this present situation is justified. However, in the R/S section, which religion gets more questions and answers, HInduism or paganism? My money is on paganism.

• Tea
    Best Answer

I agree, it really is ridiculous.

It also irritates me when people try to say that Pagan holidays are covered by the Christmas, Halloween and Easter sections. First of all, the majority of the questions in these sections are completely consumer related and have nothing to do with the religion nature of these days. If you check out the Christmas section, you'll see that most of the questions are about buying gifts, Christmas trees or Christmas music. The Halloween section is completely dominated by questions about the best costumes or tips on throwing a Halloween party and the Easter section is almost completely dead except for lame questions about what day it lands on and why people color eggs on Easter.

If Pagans tried to jump on to those sections and ask serious questions about the real religious holidays, we would no doubt be ridiculed or even reported for asking a question that doesn't match the section title (most people are totally clueless about the origin of these holidays).

Anyway, I really do think they should consider putting up a section called "Solstices and Equinoxes", then Pagans could use that section for all of our holidays and general Pagan questions, the way Muslims use the Ramadan section as a meet up place.

Maybe if we could get a concerted effort from the long term R&S Pagans, perhaps Y!A would take it seriously and add a new section for us. The unfortunate thing is that trying to organize Pagans is like trying to herd cats...so it really is unlikely to happen. :(

• Stella

Paganism may be lesser-known to the world at large, but most of us are meeting and interacting online, whether that's in addition to or instead of having a local group to meet up with. On the internet our presence is a lot stronger, and I find it hard to believe that we're unknown to anyone who surfs the web with any regularity. I do think they should just make a generic "Pagan holidays" section; there's so many different paths under the Pagan umbrella that you could easily list hundreds of festivals.

Of course Yahoo Groups, last I checked, didn't have a Pagan category either, even though I belong to no less than 7 groups specifically dealing with my own specific PATH (Hellenismos) that isn't really that large in numbers, and know that there's a ton of other Pagan groups on there. We're enough of a presence for Yahoo to take notice.

Source(s): Hellenic Polytheist

Ya mean, like, Halloween? Isn't Halloween in that section?

And Christmas? (that's actually the solstice)

And Easter? Where do you think the bunny comes from? Pagan rituals.

Oh! And St. Patrick's Day. That one has its roots so deeply in Pagan ritual that it's almost silly to call it anything else!

Okay, Carnival is NOT listed. That, too is a Pagan holiday.

• birdie

In the US most of them are celebrated under another name...except for 4th of July and that is debatable. Thanksgiving is my favorite since nobody has bothered to pretend it is from another religion. It is still a harvest fete. mmmmmmm and about sharing.

Sheeesh one yahoo said "carnival" is not listed !!!! What the heck do you call SPRING BREAK? The spring holiday was always celebrated by the youth with the adults looking benignly on....for 10s of centuries.

• Hate to break it to you but Hinduism has over 1 billion followers and is a MAJOR world religion unlike Paganism. Yeah I know lots of thumbs down by Paganists but none of you an argue with what I said. Compared to Hinduism Paganism is the "lesser known."

samhain is listed as halloween

and btw, not all pagans celebrate the sabats and esbats. shouldn't we include all, including lupercanalia?

and don't forget talk international like a pirate day!

• Dust

The reason for it is probably the fact that there are many more Hindus in the world than there are pagans. They're 13% of the world population, after all....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Worldwide_perce...

Good point! Only, since we have so many, one forum called "Pagan holidays" would probably do.

answer: contact Customer Service - organize an on-line petition to show them, perhaps?

I agree with you

And Cat Nip Day! They are discriminating against Ceiling Cat worshipers!