Can any member of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Inc. please help me?

My mother is a member of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Inc. and now that I'm in college I notice that the hand gesture is different now that it was in 1978 when she became a member. I also notice that it is now the AKA sign. Can someone please explain to me what happened? I actually asked my coach who happens to be an AKA why this is and she has no idea what I am talking about.

Favorite Answer

First, keep in mind that sororities and fraternities did not always use hand signs. When speaking with senior members of these of these organizations, I've heard them refer to hand signs, as well as the calls, as a "newer phenomenon". If you were to look at older photos (pre 1970's or older), you will not see hand signs at all. You will see members standing in a group together behind the organization's shield.

The original hand sign used by sorors of Sigma Gamma Rho was indeed different from the current hand sign used. The former hand sign was intended to represent the lower case greek letter Sigma by forming a circle with the thumb & 3 fingers and holding the outstretched pinky horizontally. Some members began holding the pinky up vertically instead. See lower case sigma here:

http://www.econ.ucl.ac.uk/courses/c32_files/greek_...

When members of AKA began using the vertical pinky as their handsign, sorors of Sigma Gamma Rho developed the current official handsign used.

I sincerely hope you will follow in your mother's footsteps and become a part of the beautiful legacy of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. It is indeed a wonderful organization!

Source(s): Member of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc.

Sigma Gamma Rho Shield

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

My mother is a member of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Inc. and now that I'm in college I notice that the hand gesture is different now that it was in 1978 when she became a member. I also notice that it is now the AKA sign. Can someone please explain to me what happened? I actually asked my coach who...

Source(s): member sigma gamma rho sorority me: https://bitly.im/bGwdo

I have heard of this but you will likely find that many members (both AKA's and SGRho's) do not know of this history since it is not documented. If you really want to know, ask an older SGRho that was around at the time and continues to be active in the sorority today. Also, consider that the why's and the how's may not be public information that older members are willing to share with non-members. Anyway, our official hand sign (and ours is official) is what you see members of Sigma Gamma Rho doing today.

Source(s): 15 Yr. Member of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. www.sgrho1922.org

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/Jowhn

Hello, Getting to know the members is half the battle so it sounds like you already know them or are getting to know them. Continue to reach out to them; invite members to lunch or dinner. Try to really get to know them as people; befriend them. You may not be able to tell yet if they are interested in you so focus on your interest in them and the organization. Do community service and keep your grades high, just in general, not just to get into a sorority. Show your interest by attending their events and programs on campus. Ask them if you can do community service with them if they have projects coming up. And if you feel comfortable, come right out and let them know that you're interested. No harm in that as long as you don't act too anxious or stalker...LOL! Ask them when they will have an informational meeting or informal rush so you can attend or look for flyers to be posted around campus. Most importantly, make sure you know how serious this is because membership is a major committment. You'll be joining not just the chapter but the entire organization and will be expected after you graduate, to transfer to an alumnae chapter and to continue being active and serving your community for a lifetime. Membership does not end when college ends and if you don't plan to be active after college, please do not pursue membership at all. It's the alumnae members that run the organization and keep it going. If this is something you can't do right now or have to wait, you can always pursue membership after you graduate in an alumnae chapter. Also, remember that no matter how well you get to know the members and no matter how qualified you are, it's up to the members in the chapter if they will extend membership to you. Nothing is promised. Good Luck!

Sigma Kappa Hand Sign