Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsOther - Science · 1 decade ago

need help on hydrogen!?

i need to find three uses to hydrogen.and for each what qualities of the element make it useful for this puporse (why)

Favorite Answer

Krizz has a bunch of errors:

Hydrogen:

*is used as a shielding gas for welding, isolating the site of the weld from atmospheric gases such as oxygen and nitrogen.

=== No way; the hydrogen would burn.

Hydrogen is used in some welding operations, but only a few

The most common blanket gas is argon.

*It is used for cooling rotors in electrical power generators because of its high thermal conductivity.

=== and because of its low drag

*Liquid hydrogen is colder than 14 Kelvin, and is used for research in cryogenics and superconductivity.

*is used to produce methanol and hydrochloric acid, as well as being used as a reducing agent for metal ores.

===Not many metals are reduced with hydrogen.

*was formerly used for filling balloons, airships, and other lighter-than-air craft, a dangerous practice because of hydrogen's explosive flammability (Hindenburg accident in 1973).

=== rather earlier than 1973 !!!

Hydrogen is used a lot in industrial chemistry. Oil refineries make and use a lot of it.

It is also used to hydrogenate oils to make shortening [yum yum].

The space shuttle uses LOX [liquid oxygen] and LH2 [liquid hydrogen] as fuels in the main engines.

Ammonia is made with hydrogen. Almost all of the nitrogen fertilizer starts out as ammonia, made via the Haber-Bosch process. Without that we'd all starve.

• krizz

Hydrogen:

NOTE:

My bad on the Hindenberg accident...it's 1937 (typo lol). I was simply quoting the uses of hydrogen in one of the sites when I did my search. http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-some-uses-of-hydr...

Bigoinie...I appreciate you correcting me :)