I hired a contractor to build me a deck, i paid him in full i have nothing?

I hired a company out of san antonio, to build me a deck i paid about $8,000 for it. he never paid the people building so they left, and never showed up Again. I been e mailing and calling this guy and his wife to finish, they respond with new dates and new excusesevery timee. they say im hard headed for e mailing so much. what can i do all i want is for this to get done fast.

Favorite Answer

file theft by deception chargers against him

take him to small claims court,

file charges against him Thur the prosecute,s office

Source(s): maint man

You say you hired a contractor which should mean the guy has a contractors license in the state you reside; I suggest taking the guys information (Name, Address, and most importantly his Contractors License Number) down to you nearest contractors license board. The Contractors License Board should be able to help you with your situation. If the guy who has your money (contractor) is working under a expired Contractors License, a false License number, or no number at all the guy is doing wrong just with that. If you hired a "Contractor" who isn't really a license contractor and does not have a contractors number on any of his information, you may have mad a very expensive mistake. The worst may not be over yet I'm sorry to say so be prepared if you live in a state (EX: California) that allows laborers to place liens against homeowners if they aren't paid for their services thus you would be liable to pay even though you already paid in good-faith (I strongly suggest you don't talk about this openly to anyone looking for you to pay them) I also suggest that you find out what your local harassment laws are so you can stay just under the legal threshold, and document your efforts. You may be heading to court and you might as well be prepared to show you made every possible effort to get results within the law. In the future please don't be so trusting and check out the contractor through the license board, and the Better Business bureau; even ask for references with addresses (I was asked to be a reference by a contractor and I happily agreed), and only pay in installments as the project progresses. If you did all this before hiring this guy and this still happened to you I apologize.

I wish you well, and hope you get your deck soon.

I own a home remodel/home improvement business in West Virginia, and I hate to say it but you are in for a tough fight. Let this be a lesson to you and anyone else who reads this...don't pay for the entire job up front! I have heard so many horror stories from my customers about other contractors. We never ask for more than all of materials and half of labor up front. This leaves each party equally vested in the project and helps ensure the project is completed in a timely fashion. Did you have any kind of contract? The emails seem to be your best defense. Send the contractor an email stating exactly what you want done and by when. Stay pleasant with your tone so the contractor doesn't just up and disappear. If they do not follow through on the rules you establish, ask for an immediate refund. If they refuse, tell them in no uncertain terms you are taking them to court. A verbal contract is just as binding as a written contract and since you have emails where they admit you have a verbal agreement, they don't stand a chance in court. Be sure to report the contractor to the Better Business Bureau and any other local outlet you can think of to help ensure this doesn't happen to anyone else! Even write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper stating exactly what happened. Hopefully a "threat" of a lawsuit will get them to come finish the job, but I'd be leery of their workmanship based on their lack of professionalism thus far. I'll be happy to give you further advice or assistance if I can. Just email me!

Hope this helps!

Scarlett

The Bible says, He started the Ark in his 500th year and finished it 100 years later. No contractor was used because none are mentioned. It was 300 cubits long, 50 cubits wide and 30 cibits high. A cubit was about 18 inches, making it 450 feet long x 75 feet wide x 45 feet high. This being 3 stories, equals 101,250 square feet of floor space. The question I have is, How did he get that many animals in the confined space he had. After all, 2, each of the unclean, and 7 each of the clean ones times the number of creatures equals a whole lot of animals. How many species are there? Thousands! by last count and some haven't been discovered yet. I have a problem with this story, so can any one explain the "How"? And, "How many animals there were?"

• dawnb

No one pays a contractor in full up front for work. An honest contractor would never ask for that. Monies are in increments with the bulk paid upon completion. You have no recourse. You could try a suit but that will cost you more and you will still not have a completed deck. Unfortunately you have learned a very costly lesson. Sorry.

Wow that's bad and it happens. Never pay a contractor more than 20% up front and arrange progress payments as the work is complete and holding at least 10 % until th job is satisfactorily complete.

If he is a Licensed contractor you may be able to recoup your loss through a recovery fund like we have in Florida. Give a call to the State Licensing board to see if they have such a program.

You have many rights to either a deck or your money back in your position, your only problem is getting a deck in a reasonable amount of time. And for that good luck and keep after this contractor be persistent.

Your big mistake was paying him up front. You can kiss your money goodbye because he's never going to finish the work. Sounds like he's running a scam. Call your local news and/or newspaper to have him investigated. In the future make sure you do a thorough background check and check with the Better Business Bureau. Good Luck!

too bad you payed for all of it right away usually you give half down and the other half upon completion what i would do is give them one more opportunity to finish if they dont get another company to finish and sue the origal one for the cost or catch it on fire barbqueing or something and collect insurance money joke good luck

Threaten him that if he doesn't get the job done soon, you will call your local newstation, newspaper, and the police...that should get him moving, if not, file charges.