R J
R J asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Will Sen. McCain come out of that meeting as Sec. of Defense?

Favorite Answer

Interesting question. If McCain quits the Senate to become Secretary of Defense, could that add another Senate seat to the Democrats' total? Another possible route to 60 seats? I think McCain will just say "no thanks" to that Sec'y of Defense job.

Question to IWillCatchScottWhite: in what way is John Kerry a faux war hero? Are you familiar with http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/artic...

and http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A132...

and http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/docu...

documents that prove Thurlow supported and commended Kerry in 1969 and lied about him later?

Question to toonistcar90: you say "Bush is great, because he allows those who know best to give good input and has a team of the best cabinet ever give analysis on it and make recommendations." You have heard of Donald Rumsfeld, right? He was Bush's Sec'y of Defense for the first 6 years who absolutely REFUSED to allow anything resembling a surge to happen on his watch. Is Rumsfeld part of that "best cabinet ever?" How about Alberto Gonzales? I think his great claim to fame is that he made John "zero-terror-convictions" Ashcroft look good by comparison. Rod Paige -- the Education Sec'y whos brilliant idea was to hire a covert propagandist? And let us not forget Bush firing Colin Powell for the grave and terrible crime of being right when Cheney and Rumsfeld were wrong. Yeah, Bush sure knows how to assemble a cabinet! NOT!!

.

According to campaign promises, Senator McCain would make an excellent Secretary of Commerce or Secretary of Energy. Secretary of Energy may be a conflict of interests.

Let's move on to Secretary of the Interior. The national park system could keep Senator McCain busy and out of trouble. This could evolve into a protection of domestic environment.

Secretary of Defense is not a good fit. Ideological conflict is too great.

Veterans Affairs would be an opportunity for atonement. The War Hero has done little to advocate Veteran interests.

Retirement would be an excellent suggestion.

I like McCain, but I would like to see Obama keep Gates as Secretary of Defense. Gates is the best Secretary of Defense this nation has had in several years, and he came in to replace Donald Rumsfield, a man who proved to be beyond incompetent at the job.

• No, because McCain is a neocon and Obama doesn't want someone in that position who he is idealogically opposed to. If Obama had a neocon as Secretary of Defense he'd spend half his presidency arguing with them.

If he were to make McCain secretary of defense he would tick a lot of liberals off. I think a safer bet to keep him popular with liberals would be to give Jane Fonda a call.

I hope not. McCain, as much as I liked him better than Obama, is a jello head and you don't want him controlling the military. Bush is great, because he allows those who know best to give good input and has a team of the best cabinet ever give analysis on it and make recommendations.

McCain would think he knew best, and he really could cause a huge problem at some point because, as I stated, he is a jello head and you never know what he will do.

The only useful resource McCain provides is the ceremony of mutual concern.

• DAR

Oh barf.

You know well that they are just talking to try to get McCain folks to back the horrendous policies being discussed.

And it might work for the about 5 people on earth who actually consider themselves 'McCain folks'.

im hoping he gets homeland security at least. I didn't like Mccain but still this would shut some ignorant ppl up

• abina

I disagree with Hagel, Viet Nam became not in any respect declared a conflict firstly and we pulled out no longer because we were dropping it, yet because the conflict had grow to be truly unpopular with the american human beings. the decision became one hundred% politically inspired because the human beings who we left behind were brutally murdered in a short era of time afterwords. you should remember that the draft had extra to do with why we "lost", no longer the 50k adult men we lost at the same time as combating it. It became a foul decision to pull out. Iraq became truly a fulfillment the position we killed a ruthless dictator and freed the Iraqi's. that in my definition is prevailing the conflict.