Where is all the interest in adopting bi-racial babies?

I am almost 4 months pregnant and at one point was looking into all of my options. Abortion was ruled out immediately, so I started looking into the adoption process. However after researching quite extensively actually,I was very disappointed to learn that there really seems to be no urgency for families wanting or even willing to adopt a multi racial child. My baby is black and white, and it hurts me to know that had I chose to adopt out there is a huge chance my child would have been a consollation prize for a family that really wanted an all white child. When I looked through profiles of couples the families proclaiming to be oh so "christian" and so in need of a child would list they were ONLY willing to accept a caucasian child. Some even went so far as to specify the gender they would accept. If you want a child so terribly and God is allowing another woman to bless you with becoming a mother is it really fair of you to put conditions on it? I understand that an all white couple would ideally want a child that assimilated them most however if love is what you have to give and are looking to receive why alienate birth mothers and potential children just because you want a cookie cutter family?

Best Answer

Welcome to the hypocrisy of the adoption process. The fact of the matter is that most families are looking for a cute ickle baby that they can mold into a pretend 'real child'. There are thousands of orphaned or abandoned older children in the system that cannot find a family to love them, but so many potential parents are only interested in brand-spanking new babies that can be passed off as their birth child.

I hope you find a loving and DESERVING family to look after your baby, these people don't sound like they're either.

I think it is because most families want a child who they can identify with and in some cases they don't want it to be so evident that the child is adopted such as a white couple adopting a black or mix baby it is evident that the child is adopted whereas if the child were white it wouldn't be so.It's not just white people who do this african american,mexican,asian all races do this.

I actually agree with some of what you say, but here's another spin on it. How will a black child feel growing up in an all white household? Will he know he's different and if so, will that bother him? Sometimes I don't think it's mostly about the parents choosing a white child because of the color of his skin, but maybe more for the way that child will feel within his new family.

Let me ask you this... If given the choice between three equal families (they all make the same amount of money, live in the same great school district and all with beautiful houses), which parents do you choose for your newborn? A black family, a white family or an Asian family? Is it fair for YOU to assume who is the best family for your child based on their race?

I really don't think people are purposed discriminating against newborns this early on. They are trying to view their family dynamics with said child and are trying to make the best transition for everyone involved.

Just my two cents. Do with it what you will. :) Good luck in your decisions!

You're absolutely right, and I think it's wrong of families to be picky in this situation. You are a blessing for giving up your child for a family that wants to take care of a baby -- don't give up -- you'll find the right family. Have you considered all your circumstances? Are you dead-set on giving up your baby? You sound like a caring, genuine person, and that is the type of person a baby needs. :) Just my opinion, I think you'd make a lovely mother from the way it sounds.

• KS

There are a lot of children out there that need homes....and not enough people willing/able to provide those homes. Unfortunately, you are right in that there are categories of children that have an even harder time finding a home than others.

However, do remember that there are people out there that are not concerned with petty things like race. There IS a family out there that will love your baby for who she is and not what she looks like. Put a little bit of faith in humanity...most have quite a bit of compassion and love.

• csbiup

I guess those people that say they are Christian don't want the negative attention and questions that raising a child that is not their race may raise. Ex: did she conceive outside of her marriage? They want to be like everyone else and raise a child that looks like the rest of their family.

First off don't just blame white Christians on feeling this way. I'm sure it is similar in every race and religion, people want a child that will fit best in to their family. Maybe some people don't want to tell the children they are adopted, not the best choice, but if they don't want them to know they can't very well adopt a child of another race now can they?

That being said I'm sure you will find someone. Multi-racial children often have less health problems and they are usually adorable, there is someone out there for your baby should you choose to give it up.

• Kitty

don't believe all that rubbish, my preacher at my church and his wife could not conceive due to medical problems with her. they adopted a child from another country b/c they could not get approved fast enough in the US. they flew and picked up the baby who was about already 3months old when they got him. not everyone cares what color a child is. i wouldn't worry about that. good people who really want a baby are out there, the real problem is how long some people have to wait to be approved to have their child. keep looking, there are good people out there christians or not, that want your baby for their own, it will be loved, and i very happy that you did not even consider abortion. you are a wonderful person for that alone.

Source(s): 36 weeks pregnant
  • Kim B

some people just see the world in black and white, no gray areas... it isnt fair in the least but it is life... Fortunately there is a family out there who will love, honor, and respect your child for being him or herself... Best of luck to you

I think all children Multi racial or not are wonderfull and beautifulll.... I get your point I agree that is messed up. All color should be = .....