Why do jews believe the coming of the Messiah will not be Jesus in Revelations of John ( NT)and Isaiah 53( OT)?

Posted for Jews only please.please ,please.

The second Coming of Christ as so often referred to by Jesus and His church and is a predominent feature of Christian Life.

Update:

For information ,both Christains and Jews believe Messiah will appear in Power not as God in Human form as at Christmas but clearly foretold in the Jewish Old testament

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

First of all, we Jews do not follow the NT. Secondly, your OT is our Tanakh, mistranslated and re-ordered. So, having said THAT, Isaiah 53 is taken out of context if you have not also read Isaiah 52. It becomes clear that what is being discussed is Israel.

Now, the reasons we do not believe Jesus to be our Moshiach (Messiah) are:

(With thank to Mark S. for the list):

· * The Sanhedrin will be re-established (Isaiah 1:26)

* Once he is King, leaders of other nations will look to him for guidance. (Isaiah 2:4)

* The whole world will worship the One God of Israel (Isaiah 2:17)

* He will be descended from King David (Isaiah 11:1) via King Solomon (1 Chron. 22:8-10)

* The Moshiach will be a man of this world, an observant Jew with "fear of God" (Isaiah 11:2)

*****In other words - this must all be accomplished in a human lifetime*****

* Evil and tyranny will not be able to stand before his leadership (Isaiah 11:4)

* Knowledge of God will fill the world (Isaiah 11:9)

* He will include and attract people from all cultures and nations (Isaiah 11:10)

* All Israelites will be returned to their homeland (Isaiah 11:12)

* Death will be swallowed up forever (Isaiah 25:8)

* There will be no more hunger or illness, and death will cease (Isaiah 25:8)

* All of the dead will rise again (Isaiah 26:19)

* The Jewish people will experience eternal joy and gladness (Isaiah 51:11)

* He will be a messenger of peace (Isaiah 52:7)

* Nations will end up recognizing the wrongs they did to Israel (Isaiah 52:13-53:5)

* The peoples of the world will turn to the Jews for spiritual guidance (Zechariah 8:23)

* The ruined cities of Israel will be restored (Ezekiel 16:55)

* Weapons of war will be destroyed (Ezekiel 39:9)

* The Temple will be rebuilt (Ezekiel 40) resuming many of the suspended mitzvot

* He will then perfect the entire world to serve God together (Zephaniah 3:9)

* Jews will know the Torah without Study (Jeremiah 31:33)

* He will give you all the desires of your heart (Psalms 37:4)

* He will take the barren land and make it abundant and fruitful (Isaiah 51:3, Amos 9:13-15, Ezekiel 36:29-30, Isaiah 11:6-9).

B'shalom (in peace)!

Source(s): Reconstructionist Jew
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Songbyrd and plushy_bear have given you good Jewish answers, with which I concur. The New Testament is not something that plays any part whatsoever in our religion, so that's irrelevant and, as plushy_bear has pointed out, the Christian reading of Isaiah 53 takes it out of context and distorts it. It has never been understood as a messianic prophecy in Judaism.

I'm not entirely clear what you mean about Christians and Jews both believing the messiah will appear "in Power". We certainly don't believe our messiah is G-d - the idea is repugnant to us, as we are 100% clear that our messiah is 100% human. End of story. You may think something else is 'clearly foretold', but each of the prophecies that Christians believe they can find in the Tanakh (re-ordered etc as the Christian "Old Testament") has been understood in Judaism, since before the believed birth of Jesus, as something quite different and decidedly NOT a messianic prophecy. Those 23 prophecies that plushy_bear has given you are IT. We don't have any others. We don't spend our time waiting for the messiah, either - I know Christians often assume that because Jesus is central to THEIR religion, Jews must be desperate to fill a messiah-shaped hole in their lives, but it really isn't like that at all. The messiah will come when the messiah comes; our task is not to speculate about that but to get on with the business of leading a good Jewish life in the here and now.

• 1 decade ago

The point about power is still a fine point that doesn't work for Judiasm. God is God, indivisible & incoporeal. There's not need for any subpiece to appear in any manifestation from a Jewish reading of the texts. No 2nd coming is mentioned either or a first coming as a human.

The OT has changes to support Christian theology, so they read very differently that the Tanakh even though the changes can be just a word here or there.

According to the Torah, not a letter can be added or changed, so the NT doesn't make sense to Judaism as an addition.

Plushy gave the list of things the messiah will do. They haven't happened, ergo, there hasnt' been a messiah here. Judaism does not ask us to look anxiously for the messiah, but rather to work on making this world better & NOT to 2nd guess the events. Judaism is different than Xtianity in that it has much more focus on this life than Xtianity does.

• 1 decade ago

If he had not , 'died,' all those things in Isaiah may have come to pass?!!

I am christian but I believe that Jesus was a man/human sent from God and that the Jews have a big part to play in all Bible prophecies.

Unfortunately that does mean I have to believe that as it also says in revelation that Jesus will not return until he is accepted by the Jews then I am afraid we all have a long wait for 'our' Moshiach.

I would like to know more about how much the Tanakh has been altered from the original? Plushy bear.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Er, no, Jews do not believe in the OT. It is a misrepresentation and often mistranslated version of the Jewish Tanakh.

Why don't you believe that Joseph Smith was the greatest prophet that ever lived?

That's the equivalent of your post to us.

Jesus didn't match *our* description of *our* maschiach in *our* scriptures.

On that basis, why on earth would we name him our messiah????

If you want more discussion of those specific scriptures, I refer you here: http://www.messiahtruth.com

Isaiah 53 - that is not about Jesus. Try reading a proper translation of the original Hebrew!

• 1 decade ago

Jews, I am one, do not believe that Gd will appear in human form. Christians believe Jesus did the first time and will again. Since he was not our Messiah the first time, and since he had to complete his mission, as a human, in one life time, he fails to make the cut.

Source(s): s
  • 1 decade ago

They don't believe Jesus was the Messiah. Why? Why DO people believe he was the Messiah? I don't mean that in an offensive way, I just mean to say, that it is just a different view of it all. The inverse outlook.

• 1 decade ago

I know you asked only for Jews, but I have a bit of a different view on this. Perhaps it is because at the time, Jews were looking for a true king of the human world - one who would lead the people as human kings do.

It is always a bit difficult for the vast majority of society to believe a true new Manifestation of God when He does come because they have their own expectations and interpretations of what this will look like when the new Manifestation of God comes. Sometimes it is hard for us to believe what is right in front of us because we are limiting ourselves. Some people will make the jump, through assistance from God and dedication to truth; but most of the people living at the time will find it difficult to accept a new dispensation.

This being so, this does not mean Jews are not living a fulfilling life. They are living life as they see the truth and I ask respect to be given for that.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I'm no jew, but it might just be because they don't accept Jesus as the messiah.

durr

• 1 decade ago

If one could answer the question as to why people believe as they do, then--but only then--could your question be answered.

Many do, of course.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.