Are you for letting congress bail out the automakers?

Why or why not?

I'm not for bailing them out BTW. They need to declare bankruptcy now and relieve some of that debt tension with their creditors. Restructure and make competitive fuel efficient vehicles to get their credit rating back.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

No. Because 1st, any bailout MUST include a comprehensive plan detailing exactly what they intend to do to stop losing $1 billion week, and pay us back at the same time.

If that were possible, they would need no bailout. If it's not possible, we are throwing money down the drain postponing the inevitable.

2nd, all three are not going under. Only one would fail, and the other two would benefit. Studebaker, Hudson, AMC, and many other automakers have went under in the past, and America survived. Maybe it's time for competent auto manufactures to take their place that can compete with Honda, Toyota, Volvo. How does Walmart Motor Co?, Microsoft Auto Co, sound?

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

NO bailout! I am "in the business" and could lose my job, but no way should the government bail them out. First of all, they have been losing sales for many years, ignoring customer needs and wants, continuing on extravagent spending, opening plants overseas, failing to make quality products. If they failed to run their business successfully, why should the American people pay to bail them out? It's survival of the fittest. If one goes out of business, the rest will pick up their sales and survive.

Worried about losing American jobs? Well the big 3 have plants overseas, while the foreign car makers are building plants here in the US employing our citizens....

• 1 decade ago

The Auto Industry employees 3,000,000 people who buy goods from many other businesses and own homes. It would be a huge chain reaction. The secondary argument is that the Auto Industry is converted to and used to manufacture military equipment in times of war. If the industry failed, we would have to rely on foreign auto industries to manufacture our military equipment which would raise more issues with Government security.

I agree about making more energy efficient and reliable cars by the way.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

With the Big 3 U.S. Automakers circling the drain, here are 10 solutions to the current crisis and none of them involve sticking your head between your legs and kissing your rear goodbye.

http://fastandloud.com/how-to-save-the-us-automoti...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

?..the UAW ands other unions that have driven the Big 3 to bankruptcy with 35.00 an hr wages and lifetime health care packages?...The Big 3 currently pays Health Care for over 400,000 people...kind of extreme for us to have to pay for,yes?the welfare dromes have been dining at the taxpayer trough for decades...the corporate folks have just now caught on...THEY can "get a check" too...

so NO to the bailout

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They're bailing out banks which made bad loans. So why not the auto industry. They will then be able to hire more workers which will help the economy.

• 1 decade ago

GM just opened a $300 million dollar plant in Russia. Look it up on the internet. Why would they need a bailout, other than to just make it easier for them to take the money and create more profit, to help them look and feel better. They don't necessarily 'need' it. Their just like everyone else; looking for a handout. Also, they feel they deserve it, because they told all of their union employees, who to vote for. You scratch my back, I scratch yours.

• 1 decade ago

I'm against it. Basically for the reasons you stated. This is what happens when greed takes over.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.