What level should a guitarist have after a year?

What level should he have if he took classes? What level should he have if he didn't? By level I mean: what should he know? What should he able to play?

I know this is a very vague question that depends on a lot of factors, so please avoid just stating this. I'm just curious to measure my level against expectations.

• Left-T
    Favorite Answer

Hi there

If you practice every day for 30 minutes, 7 day a week, you should complete Level I of 'Berklee school of music'.

That means, you should know all your scales from one end of the fingerboard to the other and in all position. Speed technique should have been acquired with a good up and down stroke on every note played.

Then, you have intervals, note-skipping etc... which should have been learnt. That is level one..

Chording usually starts at Level 2 for another full year. That would mean learning all progressions and scales of every key.

Level 3 is advanced technique. This involves back-picking,. sweeps, legato, slurs, hammer-ons, economy-picking which triples your speed.

Actually, I learnt economy picking after the first year. Its a super fast lazy way of picking LOL

Source(s): Berklee Graduate / Studio Guitarist / Luthier

I would say that it depends on the amount of time he puts into learning his instrument. When I use to play the clarinet I practice everything from my scales to the music for the next concert. My practice session would last anywhere from two to four hours. There were a number of songs that I had commented to memory and a number of songs that I could play flawlessly if the sheet music was provided. But, if you were to ask me today I’d tell you I could barely play “Mary Had a Little Lamb.” I have been out of practice that long.

If a guitarist is commented and willing to give up a Saturday at the Mall with his friends or movie with a girlfriend than he his skills will increase with the experience. But, if he has not devoted as much time to practicing even the basics than he will now as much about playing a guitar as a toddler does plucking at the strings.

Like you say, its very hard to judge, but from my experience and those of my friends, you should really have an understanding of all the basic chords and bar chords, as well as be able to comfortably read and play most tabliture to some degree. I guess you should probably have some grasp of scales and a few techniques such as bending and hammer ons/pull offs, but I don't imagine you should be much of a soloist.

What I do know though, is once you feel like you know all the chords and most of the scales and techniques, stop getting lessons, and start practising songs you love and want to learn. Guitar is about expression of personality through music, and no matter what your level of ability, you will always be able to do this if you practice songs you enjoy.

Yeo Jar Jar,

If someone is taking lesson, or watching a lot of instructional guitar videos, practicing 10-30 minutes a day, and has reasonable finger dexterity, I'd say anyone should be able to play songs with chords. More than that depends on the style they are trying to play: Jazz, Fingerstyle, Rhythm or Lead.

After a year of leasons, they should certainly be able to play a recognizable song.

Source(s): I've been playing for 30 years, but I've never been a guitar teacher.

im currently doing grade 8 on the piano and When i started the piano, it took me a year to get the basics. I was taught scales, chords, the notes, the deffinitions of the words which are usualy italian for example - p - piano - play quietly.

I also have a guitar and i think you should be working your way to a grade if that is what you want to do. I think you she be taught the note names, where the sharps and flats are etc... the chords and the scales. Including any words that you dont understand or markings you dont understand.

I hope i have helped in some way.

level 23 in tapping

level 9 in sightreading

level 17 in playing by ear

level 70 in stringing up some strings

level 12 in artificial harmonics

Probably should be able to do bar chords, know a couple of positions for each chord and a couple of scales. Playing a recognisable tune would be in there too. But it does depend on how into it you are.

No. practice lets you study a ability solid sufficient so it turns into 2nd nature. you like the song to pass out of your suggestions on your palms. once you do no longer practice you place a kink in the sign chain, you decrease your staying power, and you halt your growth as a musician. Why provide up your growth as a proficient intermediate point participant? could you particularly pay attention to Hendrix recordings or Hendrix as a beginning up guitar pupil?

I learn of videos on-line and things in guitar world magazine I'm pretty good I would say I'm at between intermediate and expert on guitar I still got a lott to learn.

• John V

If you could play some jonas bros. or Miley cyrus songs, you're about on par with a guitarist with one year experience.

Same goes for Nickelback.

Source(s): source this