Aspergers in Melbourne?

I'm in the Melbourne area, and have aspergers. I am lonely and wish I could make friends, but it never really works.

I've tried to look into places for help, but they only seem to have help for children with aspergers or parents of those who have it.

I'm a 23 year old girl and feel just so alone. I'm not interested in psychologists, i want to go to groups with people like me so we can talk together about experiences etc, and coping methods...

any help?

Favorite Answer

Hi Catherine

My brother also has asperger's so I understand it and know how it can affect a persons life. Unfortunately there is not a lot of awareness around so it's quite hard to find support groups (I wish people would wake up and realize that ignorance isn't bliss).

I just have to say it's so great that you want to talk about your asperger's and accept it rather than hiding from it. My brother refuses to admit he has it and will not talk about it or get help.

I also noticed that there are many support groups for parents and not many for people who actually have asperger's. You could try going to the Asperger Syndrome Support Network website. I think it's mainly for family members but you could e-mail them or call them and ask if they know of any support groups in your area for people who have asperger's. You could also try looking at other websites and email them or call them. Someone has to know of one.

The only one I could find is in Werribee. Their website is http://aspergers.silverviper.com/ The events section will tell you when the next meeting is.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. I wish you the best of luck.

I have Asperger's Syndrome and I am in the states, and I have a few friends, you can try traveling, and try making pen-pals or friends you can actually talk to. I also use social networking sites, like Facebook.