Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Is Al Gore's global warming scare political propaganda?

A surreal scientific blunder last week raised a huge question mark about the temperature records that underpin the worldwide alarm over global warming. On Monday, Nasa's Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS), which is run by Al Gore's chief scientific ally, Dr James Hansen, and is one of four bodies responsible for monitoring global temperatures, announced that last month was the hottest October on record.

A sudden cold snap brought snow to London in October

This was startling. Across the world there were reports of unseasonal snow and plummeting temperatures last month, from the American Great Plains to China, and from the Alps to New Zealand. China's official news agency reported that Tibet had suffered its "worst snowstorm ever". In the US, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration registered 63 local snowfall records and 115 lowest-ever temperatures for the month, and ranked it as only the 70th-warmest October in 114 years

So what explained the anomaly? GISS's computerised temperature maps seemed to show readings across a large part of Russia had been up to 10 degrees higher than normal. But when expert readers of the two leading warming-sceptic blogs, Watts Up With That and Climate Audit, began detailed analysis of the GISS data they made an astonishing discovery. The reason for the freak figures was that scores of temperature records from Russia and elsewhere were not based on October readings at all. Figures from the previous month had simply been carried over and repeated two months running.

So are scientists cooking the books and using bad data to justify their position?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=...

Chris I - Please explain to me why the Hubbard Glacier in Alaska is growing in spite of the global warming claims.

http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/fs-001-03/

Favorite Answer

I believe so.. for the most part anyway... because he tells (in his diatribe of a "documentary") that the Antarctic ice caps are melting... but what he "forgot" to tell people is that yes they are melting from the sides but they are freezing and growing in height... and it also has been getting colder in Antarctica as well as in the Arctic... He also fails to mention this little thing called thermohaline circulation, which is this conveyor belt that connects to all the oceans (thus making mild and wet winters in Western Europe and Cold, Dry Winters in Eastern North America) that when it slows down will start bringing our earth into a cooling phase.... he also "forgets" to mention the wealth of geologic data that supports that we go in warming and cooling trends and always have since the beginning of time...

He only focuses on one aspect of climate change and uses scare tactics to get people to recycle and use their bikes... by telling us that "global warming" is all our fault, even though science tells us otherwise. We are only partly to blame.

In my honest opinion, I would not trust anything that comes out of the IPCC (inter-governmental panal on climate change) because the are a government agency and I believe they skew their data and findings for their governments interests...

Now don't get me wrong, I don't believe that we all should be driving big trucks and SUV's... I do believe that we should take care of the planet that we are living on, but I don't believe that because some guy that got his degree in journalism from Harvard that just happened to take an ecology class (which in my opinion is not real science) back in the '70's.

Source(s): Geographer that studies climate (both geologically and atmospherically)

Back in the 80's I was looking at Global Warming with an open mind, over the years I have come to realize that Global Warming follows natural trends and solar cycles. Anyone reading this should look up the "medieval warm period" and the "little ice age." Although I found that some articles still try to blame man kind the science would suggest there is little we can do to help or hinder the cycles.

Now I know people will say, "oh you want to trash the earth and ruin the air and ban my peace pipe." No, I think we should be cautious with our resources and environment, but we should not be worked into a hysteria, it's called FEAR MONGERING.

The main question is, does Al Gore believe it? It would be shocking to me if he was as afraid of Global Warming as his movie makes people. But then again it is Al Gore. Al Gore used alot of bait and switch in his movie, for instance having CO2 (which follows temperature according to the graphs he used) and Temperature graphs up and then referring to the for-casted CO2 graph as to what temperature would be like.

Another note, as temperatures go up in the Northern Hemisphere, they go down in the Southern Hemisphere, you can easily look up such graphs on line.

Edit: I wanted to add something after reading cloudwalker's comments. I read on this from both sides of the issue, he should visit www.iceagenow.com also I read an article blasing Fox becuase of Michael Crichton's book "State of Fear" well, Fox is the company the put out the move "The Day After Tomorrow."

Source(s): some dude
  • Eva

The Ice Age was not brought about by global tropical weather. It is believed to have been brought on by a "Nuclear winter" after the earth was hit by an asteroid. Your idea to plant more trees would be great but in actuality the earth is losing more and more forests due to man, planting a few trees will not help. The increase in hurricanes, super-cell thunderstorms, and the disease caused by insects is increasing at an alarming rate. I don't understand why people don't want to face facts. Why are you unwilling to see what is happening? Why would anyone want to make something like this up? Who gains from it?

You have to really read about this subject to form your opinion. Yes, some data has been skewed. This led to almost an urban legend type of thinking, that global warming isn't true. But if you delve deeper, you find that it is true. We need more accurate studies to predict the extent of it though.

What I find interesting is that Gore hobnobs with all these celebrities who claim to be so environmentally conscious yet they are such high consumers on the scale. Owning SUVs, several houses, private planes, and drinking bottled water all day long. Not all of course, but many. Look at Bon Jovi for instance. So he owns a hybrid car? That hardly negates all the other consuming by his tour buses and houses.

• justa

Sounds like a dumb human error to me.

BTW its not Al Gores global warming, unless you think hes got his hand on the universal thermostat.

You would be hard put to get scientists from different organizations to cook the books, they are a highly competitive bunch and they would rather dispute than agree.

The warming is in the nature of an overall increase of a degree or two, not that the world is suddenly going tropical. But a degree or two has its effect on growing seasons and so must be taken into account.

It certainly doesn't mean that it will stop snowing, or having cold snaps, somewhere in the world.

Global Warming is occurring. However, it is not man made. This is a cycle the earth goes through. Look at the mini ice-age. Not too many people know about it but it was only about 500 years ago and effected a large portion of Europe. Its just a cycle people. Nothing we can do to stop it. People have just found that they can use it as an excuse to make up some non-profit organizations, which in turn, make them rich (tax-free rich)

• V

Global warming will cause very strange weather as it occurs, which should lead to major catastrophic earth changes which should eventually lead to another ice age. The earth takes care of itself. Some places will be very hot, while strange anomalies will occur in other places. It is a cycle the earth seems to follow over time. Man has caused this to speed up much faster than imagined. I think global warming is part of a natural cycle on our planet, however we have helped to speed it up considerably.

Why do people need fluffed up statistics to convince them to just do the right thing in the first place?!

We all have to live on this planet, and even if you don't believe in global warming, it doesn't change the fact that pollution negatively impacts the environment. Not recycling and producing too much trash causes landfills to be overburdened, and dangerous chemicals can leak out into our drinking water. With the ever - growing population, this could cause huge global implications in of itself. What about pollution from burning fossil fuels? For years we have known car exhaust causes pollution and smog which causes respiratory and visibility problems for humans.

So SUV drivers, people too lazy to recycle, and whoever else could care less about global warming... why not just do the few simple things that could really cause a change? You will be improving the environment for yourself and future generations, global warming or no global warming.

Global climate change is a LONG TERM phenomena. It isn't about weather, it's about climate. It doesn't mean there won't be cold snaps. It means the overall average temperature is rising a few degrees, and this has long-term, global consequences. And a few mistakes or anamolies doesn't change the overall science.

there are numerous sites to visit that will prove the GLOBAL WARMING HOAX.

not only that,polar bear numbers are on the rise along with seals and penguins.

I hope Al Gore gets sued for everything he has ever stolen.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,337710,00.html