Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

What happened to the Natives a long time ago?

I heard something about Indian reserves or something

Something about how they tried to "beat the Indian out of them"

What exactly happened and what year was this?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

What you're looking for is "the Carlisle Indian school" which was always seen as a progressive way to treat the Indians: make white people out of them, but don't ever treat them the same! They're "redskins," after all!

This hypocracy was well demonstrated by the HBO-TV mini-series "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee." Adam Beach plays a Native American boy who is captured at an Army massacre and sent off to Pennsylvania to the Carlisle school to become "civilized."

Source(s): A rare (for me) Wiki-link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bury_My_Heart_at_Woun...
  • 1 decade ago

Excellent question, and definitely not taught in grade school history classes. There was embittered fighting throughout the 1800's between the US Government and various Native American tribes. This reached a fevered pitch when the Natives fought against the Union during the Civil War. Probably a more accurate way of putting it, the slave owners of the South formed an alliance with a group of people already fighting the US Government (Union).

The US Government began contracting with Christian missionaries to provide boarding schools in 1865, where they were to be stripped of Indian traditions and replaced with the European version of civilization. In a state of the Union address, President Grant offered the acceptance of the American way as an alternative to "Extermination." The founder of Carlisle Indian School, Richard Henry Pratt, put things more bluntly in a speech given in 1879, "A great general has said that the only good Indian is a dead one. In a sense, I agree with the sentiment, but only in this: that all the Indian there is in the race should be dead. Kill the Indian in him and save the man." One can only imagine how a school actually operated when this was the viewpoint of the person at the very top.

These schools systematically removed any vestige of Indian identity. Anything of a religious nature was replaced by force with protestant Christianity. Long hair, a reminder of ties to the Earth, was cut. Traditional Indian dress was replaced with European fashion. Speaking Native languages resulted in harsh penalties. This included addressing people by their proper names, which were changed by school personnel to sound more European. Although corporal punishment was typical for most schools throughout the United States at the time, documented widespread sexual, physical, and emotional abuse plagued the schools. The priority of the schools was to remove Indian identity instead of proper education, as evidenced by the fact that the death rates were six and a half times higher than for other groups.

Truly, this is one of the most embarrassing times in U.S. history. I would dare to say, it was as bad for the Indians as it was for the African-Americans.

Source(s): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_school#Native_... Also based on personal interviews with my grandmother, who survived Riverside Indian School in Oklahoma.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Really the question should be "what hasn't happened to our Native Americans?".

There are several answers and some you can even find on youtube documentries that will help shed some light on the hardships of Native Americans. Start by looking up "The Trail of Tears" or "Ghost Dance".

The white settlers pushed the Native Americans on to reservations with false promises and hopes. The biggest killer though was the new diseases brought over from European countries that also infected the Native Americans that had no immunity to them. So many became sick and died.

Of course we tried to "Civilize" Native Americans by forcing them to take on our culture and beliefs. Its a long sad history of the countless hardships the Native Americans have faced and continue to face even today.

One more thing you can look for on youtube is "Hopi Prophecy". This is also a good video to learn from..

Hope my ramblings helped :)

Source(s): Youtube
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.