16 Year Old Girl will be 1st woman to play Pro Baseball. What do you think of this? Read on->?

Schoolgirl knuckleballer headed to Japan pro league

TOKYO (AFP) – A 16-year-old schoolgirl with a mean knuckleball has been selected as the first woman ever to play alongside the men in Japanese professional baseball.

Eri Yoshida was drafted for a new independent league that will launch in April, drawing attention for a side-armed knuckler that her future manager Yoshihiro Nakata said was a marvel.

"I never dreamed of getting drafted," Yoshida told reporters Monday, a day after she was selected to play for the Kobe 9 Cruise.

"I have only just been picked by the team and have not achieved anything," she said. "I want to play as a pro eventually in a higher league."

Yoshida, 155 centimetres (five feet) tall and weighing 52 kilograms (114 pounds), says she wants to follow in the footsteps of the great Boston Red Sox knuckleballer Tim Wakefield.

A female professional baseball federation existed for a few years in the 1950s, but Yoshida will become Japan's first-ever woman to play alongside professional male players

Best Answer

As the father of two young daughters and a die-hard baseball fan (GO WHITE SOX!!!) I think this is a great thing.

Young women these days need things like this to aspire to. Women should know that they can do anything they set their minds to. I love hearing stories like this and i sincerly hope she makes it.

Women are surely equal to and IMO better than men in some ways in everything that they do.

When my daughters are old enough to understand I'd love to be able to point things like this out to them and say "See what she's

doing?.....You can do this too if you really put your mind to it.."

Womens rights have come a long way and as a sports and baseball fan I'm proud to say that I'm happy for her and I hope she can make something of this.

She won't be the first in pro ball, only the first in Japan. Illa Borders pitched in the minor leagues for the St. Paul Saints and Duluth Dukes in the Northern League in the late 90's. It's only a matter of time though before someone makes it to the bigs...a knuckleball makes sense since body type and muscle makeup genetically won't work in a woman's favor.

• Good for her, altho it will be tough being the ONLY girl in the league. I hope she has lots of sucess. She'll be a great role model for young girls. But I have to snort at her wanting to follow in the steps of Wakefield. She should definitely learn how to pitch more than just a knuckleball!

• Eva

three years isnt a big gap. id suggest waiting until shes 16 before having sex. as that can lead to legal problems but as long as you are certain that you wont be messing around then why not. theres a 3 year gap between my and my boyfriend who is 21 and i believe the gap is perfect. follow your heart.

• Kat

I say go girl,but...in reality Im still kinda old fashioned, I think there are things women do and things men do and although Id love to be right there at the game with my man if he would want me to be, I dont think Id enjoy it as much if it were loaded with the girls.Im all for equal rights and being treated equal but theres just some things we shouldnt mess with..lol

"new independent league?" So besides it's not even the Japanese league which is a Triple A league anyway, it's an even lower minor league, equivalent to the California league, a low level Single A league. There was already a woman playing A ball in the States a few years back so big deal.

That's great for her and Japan. Not only is she a girl but she's only 16!

Maybe the MLB would eventually allow girls to play. You never know!

What a story.

Good but it won't amount to much. Big barrier breaker in Japan though. Doubt it will translate here in the states.

Good for her.

If her knuckler dances as much as Tim Wakefield's, she might be around for more than just drawing spectators into the ball park.

You go, girl.

I think it is great, but I also worry about the kind of bs the men will dish out to her. men do not like to be one upped by a woman.