SHIVA
Lv 7
SHIVA asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 decade ago

what is the moral of this story ?

There was a farmer in China who had one son and one horse. Now having a son and a horse was considered a great blessing for a poor farmer. One day the farmer's horse runs away. The people of the village come to him, gathering around, and they all moan and say, "What a terrible thing to happen to you!" He says, "Maybe yes, maybe no". One day soon after, the horse returns and brings a mare back with him. All the villagers eagerly gather round him and say "Oh, what a blessing! How lucky you are!" He says, "Maybe yes, maybe no". Soon after that, the son is working with the new horse to train it, and he breaks his leg. The villagers appear once more and moan "Oh, what an unlucky man you are! What a terrible thing to happen! Your only son!" He says, "Maybe yes, maybe no". Later that week, the Chinese army comes riding through the village and forcibly takes away all the boys old enough to be in the army. But they can't take the farmer's son, as he has a broken leg. The villagers all gather round the farmer and say "Oh, what a good thing your son broke his leg! How fortunate you are!" And the farmer, of course, says, "maybe yes, maybe no".

25 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If you look at what would be happening to the villager's bodies as they waste their energy going up and down, and feeling sad, excited, and distraught, you would probably see some not so good things happening that are stressing their bodies. The farmer, on the other hand, remains at deep peace, no matter what is going on around him.

moral of the story- if people didn't waste so much time interfering with others lives, there would be less stress on them, i guess

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

What I think is that the story teaches us not to judge the situations that arise in every phase of life by our own....moreover,it also states that nothing is permanent in the world....Like Happiness and Sadness...

Though no doubt,the horse returned with a mare the next day..but,what about the sadness that the farmer felt the day when horse ran away?...thus,we can assume that from the story...we can interpret about the phases of life-Happy and Sad.....Coz,as the story goes,the farmer sometimes has a sad phase but it does not gets continued for a long period..the period that the others were assuming for him to be sad turned out happy phase in later time...

Hence,mainly i wanna say that...when we are in a certain situation,we should not judge the situation as a "happy" or "sad" phase...its already decided by god...and hence,we should try our best to live that moment fully rather than judging the situation...

Source(s): thats what i feel:)
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The moral of the story is that if your horse runs away, he and another horsy would come back to work for you in a few days.

If you break your leg you avoid conscription.It is a simple story,I don't know why everyone is giving answers like "everything happens for a reason",coz everything does not happen in the story.

It only happened to a poor old Chinese farmer.

• 5 years ago

HAHA thats a good story, I really enjoyed reading it. Basically the Dean wanted to see if their story was true and would match up with each other's stories. So I guess the moral was to not lie because you never know what problems will arise from the aftermath of those lies.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • This is where "fear and doubt" can come into play. But this farmer does not give in to this. Instead, he remains positive, in the middle of the road. This is a good example of how we should all live our lives!

We can learn a lot from this wise, Chinese farmer!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Moral:

With all the problems loosing his horse and his son's leg was broken and even the Chinese Army did not take his son to be enroled by the Army because his leg also was broken ?

"Local people did not even console him and not even passify the old man"

• small
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

That is a wonderful story to illustrate the ever present uncertainty and impermanence that Buddha preached about. Even in other streams of ancient Indian philosophy, happiness is defined as a state of mind that can take every worldly event as it happens without judging it either as good to be elated with or bad to be sorry about, which indeed is the foolproof formula for lasting and sustaining Happiness...... the Vedanta takes it forward to proclaim that Happiness can be attained through total acceptance which is possible only when ego is completely conquered..... it is ego that creates the illusions of both pleasures and sorrows that are but momentary and impermanent!!

• 1 decade ago

I see the moral of the story being that every thing happens for a reason and maybe for the good maybe for the bad.

Hope I Helped

Kamon

• 1 decade ago

Dear Banjaran,

This is one of the best story i ever read.If we let

the things as they happen without any resistance existence

looks after like this just like cat looking after kitten by taking the

kitten to a safe place holding it between it's jaws.Outside it looks

like a dangerous to be placed between jaws but cat does it safely

without injuring the kitten.(Marjala kishora nyaya).This happens

when we surrender to existence without any reservations.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Maybe there is a moral, maybe there is not. It was a good thing you posted this question, kept me busy for 2 minutes. Either it was a bad thing, I wasted 3 minutes.

Peace.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.