Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentInternational Organizations · 1 decade ago

Successful WTO intervention?

I can't find a World Trade Organization intervention that I understand. Could you please point one out to me, or explain one to help me understand clearly? Thanks :)

Favorite Answer

The WTO has successfully intervened in lots of cases - its DSB is probably the most effective and most followed international tribunal in the world. Do you mean in relation to a particular country?

Generally, examples include the case Australia - Measures Affecting Importation of Salmon in which Australia changed its quarantining policies on uncooked salmonids to comply with the WTO Agreements. As a result of the WTO's ruling in India- Autos, India by terminated its indigenization and accrued export obligations for automobile manufacturers.

If you were after an example specific to a particular country, I'd be happy to try and think of an example for you on that!

WTO is loosing its credential due to Free Trade Agreement whereby in the agreement they do have complementary trading practice. However, she could be a monitoring body for international trade and practice.

Source(s): bonikingv