Should this have been against the law? (religious)?

Does anyone think it should have been against the law for anyone else to name their child Jesus?

I don't want to offend anyone who actually has a child named Jesus and I know you love Him...but it just seems strange for other people to be named Jesus to me.

Favorite Answer

Perhaps now you understand how disrespectful it is to worship a human being and the problems that arise from becoming too familiar with those we hold in high regard. Would you call the queen "Lizzy?" If you believe Jesus to be God, surely you would address him in a more respectful manner.

.

It's a very common boy's name in Spain (pronounced, as someone has noted, "hay-soos"). And Joshua is the same name anyway, just a different version. It only seems strange to you because it hasn't been common around you as you grew up. It's amazing how people feel something is weird just because they didn't know about it before they were adult.

As for making laws about baby names - I would have a lot of targets before Jesus if I were to go that route (which I absolutely wouldn't, by the way). Calling your daughter Bristol (just as an example) is tantamount to child abuse. If you don't understand why, you may perhaps guess the meaning of a 'a nice pair of bristols', which is slightly outdated British slang but still well-enough understood. And I'm sure everyone here has their pet hates for idiotic made-up names.....

No it's a common name I believe in S. America. Just because someone else is called Jesus won't take away anything from the bible. Think, Jesus's name may be something quite different to the one in the bible or even pronounced differently. There is only one Messiah and that's all you need to know. The Saviour will know who you are calling when you pray

I wouldn't want the US (where I'm from) to be like some other countries where the parents have to get government approval of what they can and can't name their child, so no.

But I'd never do that to a kid, he would have to put up with so much teasing.

Well it is kind of odd. Imagine being named jesus, what you would have to put up with and all the pain they would go through so I dont think any wise parent would do that.

I also really dont like it. Funny cos there was a movie on t.v saturday nite, and one of the children's names was Jesus. I really couldnt finish it, just got reall annoyed. I think we should just stick to Mike, Johns etc. u knw?

Eh? It's just a name. It means "the Lord will save".

I know quite a lot of people named Joshua.

You do know that Joshua is the transliteration of Jesus from the Aramaic

Yeshoua, I hope.

No, no laws against any names. I support freedom even though I'd never encumber a son with that name.

Of course not, that would be prohibiting free speech. There are many people named Jesus and even God.