Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Socrates, Jesus and Buddha. Were they teaching different things, or is it the ignorance of those who came....?

after them who just think they were teaching different things?

Buddha taught "conquer yourself,"

Socrates advised "know thyself," and

Christ advised people to "Worship in Spirit," which is basically being in the "Great I Am." For this last one, the Gospel Enigma e-book will explain the connection.

So my question is this: Is there a chance that all these great teachers were saying the same thing, but it is only the ignorance of those who are reading about their words who cannot hear that they were all giving the same advice?.

The G E e-book is available here: http://gospelenigma.com/

Favorite Answer

You may be on to something. You must know yourself in order to conquer yourself, and you must conquer yourself to live in the spirit.

grace2u

Both Buddha and Socrates' thoughts are along the correct line, Jesus taught these principles as well as others BUT

Jesus is the _only_ one who is the only begotten Son of the only living God who came here to teach us and to save us from the coming destruction.

The others, including Mohammed, were not the Christ even though some of their teachings parallel those of Jesus.

The _only_ way to survive the destruction and to gain eternal life is through Jesus who died and rose again from the dead.

Jesus is not like the others.

Jesus said that you can know God, through Him, Jesus Christ. Jesus said that He did ONLY what He saw His Father in heaven do. (No man has seen God at any time, yet Jesus SEES God and copies His behaviors, so Jesus must be something MORE than a mere man, since no MAN has seen God.) He KNEW God. He even said that He came from the very HEART of God, so He could say objectively, "When you've seen ME, you've seen the Father."

Furthermore, Jesus said "I am Truth." Was Jesus telling the truth when He said that? Or was He a liar?

Jesus also said "I am Life", and again, "I am the bread of Life that has come down from My Father in heaven to give Life.", and again, "I am the water of life. Whoever is thirsty, come to me, and out of his inner-most being shall flow rivers of living waters", and finally, "I am the Resurrection and the Life. If any man believe in me, though he may die, yet shall he live again."

He said, "You already believe in God, now believe in me."

In his famous book Mere Christianity, C. S. Lewis makes this statement, "A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic - on the level with a man who says he is a poached egg - or he would be the devil of hell. You must take your choice. Either this was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us."

• Jaye16

The teacher will appear when the student is ready.

Yes, I do believe that their words and teachings are very similar (Buddha and Jesus especially).

God Bless!

Did you use this post as an opportunity to spam that website?

To "No1home2day" how did you know Jesus said those things?

Jesus never spoke a word of English!

All 3 of these and many other men and women have obtained a degree of Enlightenment beyond that of other humans, and have been gifts to our planet and the whole human race.

Wisdom is lost at the hands of fools and used as tools by those who work out how to make money from it