promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Why do Jehovah's Witnesses say Jesus Christ is an angel when the Bible says His name shall be Emmanuel?

"Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us." Matthew 1:23

Update:

The Bible does not teach anywhere the Jesus Christ was an Angel and if it does where is the proof!!!!

Update 2:

Linedancer: I am really suprised by someone who claims to know so much but thinks no one calls Jesus Christ "Emmanuel" and I can asure you that many people do and those people are not in any cult but they do worship Jesus Christ and follow the pure teachings of the Bible and no aids which make Jesus to be an angel!!

Update 3:

Linedancer " For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God."

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It's disengeneous of any JWs to say that Jesus was not called Emmanuel. In their 1 April 1987 Watchtower pp 12-14 they relate the birth of Isaiah's son, who was to be named Immanuel, as "a reliable sign" for Jesus' miraculous birth, fulfilling that prophecy in Isa 8:18.

And the apostle Matthew called Jesus Emmanuel in the quote you give, applying Isa 7:14 to Jesus. And all Christians from the 1st century onwards have done so. They know that Jesus was God with us while he walked on earth. Christmas carols and hymns are full of times when Jesus is called Emmanuel. The name Emmanuel does not need to be on a birth certificate, or written down anywhere, for people to call him by that descriptive name. Consider all the pop stars who were called by certain names at their birth yet went on to be called entirely different names for their career and have gone down in history by their assumed names. So Jesus has gone down in history as 'God With Us'.

Of course, as JWs don't believe he was God, they balk at that. They want to relegate him to a mere created angel. This fits in with their denial of the Trinity doctrine, so they will not be moved. But the Bible avoids ever using words that meant (in the original languages used) a starting point in time. There is no scripture that states, "Jesus, the archangel Michael". They can only interpret a few verses to imply that that is what is meant. It is interesting to see their resistance to your point in your question! Very telling.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Have you bothered to read Luke 1:31, 32? It says: "You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you will name him Jesus. He will be very great and will be called the Son of the Most High."

Name one person who called Jesus Emmanuel? NOBODY!

All you are after is to get a cheering section made up of other misinformed people just like you. The more you try to make Jehovah's Witnesses look foolish, the more YOU look foolish.

BTW, do YOU call Jesus Emmanuel? No, I didn't think so.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

First of all, Jesus was called Jesus not Emmanuel. Second, "Emmanuel" says nothing about the person with that name. In Hebrew there are loads of names ending with "el" - they all refer to God in some way. Examples are Daniel, Gabriel, Gamaliel, Samuel, etc.

• Debs
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

"Call Emmanuel" I say it is because of what the name means. Emmanuel: "God with us." Yes sirree, that oughta say it too. "God with us" as God in the flesh "Jesus with us". God roamed the earth and the devils trembled with fear.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Marvin
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

madmarv:religion verses rightiousness they read from a different book.in fact i have one here somewhere.why?they think like us that their right and were wrong.all in the programing of ones beliefs.we believe jesus is the son of god they dont.whos right? we will find out one day that is a fact.

Source(s): prayer and the study of the word
  • 1 decade ago

Will I go to hell for revealing I once went to a strip club to keep a lesbian friend company and got a private dance by two ladies called, and I swear by God here, Angel and Emannuelle...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

then....... Why you say Jesus is Jehovah if he is emmanuelle....then you are telling a lie also

all angels are sons of God almighty....and God sent his son according to John 3 verse 16....Which one.....the first one....

There are more than 20 parts of the bible....that identified the human name of the son of God Jesus....with his first son in heaven Michael

• 1 decade ago

in whom the fullness of the godhead dwelt bodily .. seems ultra clear to me .. how about the word was god and dwelt among us

like obama says .. somebody ain't been readin their bibles ..

actually it could be due to the bad translation they use

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

That verse is actually a mistranslation. It doesn't say "virgin", it says "young woman".

Furthermore, Jesus was never called Emmanuel. It doesn't refer to Jesus at all.

• 1 decade ago

"They" also need to read Exodus 3:14 as compared to John 8:58!! (He IS God!!) "They" are a Cult!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.