Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationGambling · 1 decade ago

Help understanding hi/low games of Omaha, etc.?

I play poker a lot, but its usually hold em and 7 card. We never do anything fancy on the pots. Now the guys are into hi/low splits and I don't understand that/nor do I like it so much. So in Omaha, for instance... I guess I use my two cards and three board cards and try to have the crappiest 5 cards possible under 8. Is this correct?

My question is... does it have to be a hand... such as 2 pair, or a straight... or can it just be a bunch of scattered low cards... like say 1 3 678? My guess is that it has to be a hand. Clarify if you know

Favorite Answer

The above answer is correct for Omaha. Your question was Omaha, etc. So different games may have different rules for the low.

But in Omaha Hi/Low, you need 5 "scattered' as you said) low cards. No pairs. 8 or lower. So if there isn't 3 low cards on the board, there will not be a low hand.

Also, you can use two cards from your hand for a low, but can use two different cards from your hand to make the high.

any cards 8 and under. straights and flushes don't matter. The best possible low hand is A2345 doesn't matter the suits or that it is a Straight it is the nuts low. Low hands CANNOT have a pair. if there is no hands that consist of 5 different numbers 8 or under the low hand is DQ ed and all the money in the pot goes to the high hand.

I hope this helps for more info go to wikipedia

Good Luck

Source(s): many hours at the tables actually i am playing PLO H/L right now LOL