Xmas decorating w/ a kitten?

We have had a new kitten for 1 month. She is 8-9 weeks old. How can we decorate for Christmas? What things should we not have or that will be harmful to her? Thank you!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Holly, Mistletoe, Poinsettias, and fake snow are poisonous to cats. Tinsel also can harm her.

Buy a tree that don't shed it's needles quickly because the cat could eat the needles or get them stuck in her paws.

Secure your tree to the wall so if she tries to climb it the tree won't fall over.

Spray diluted lemon juice around the bottom of the tree and it will stop her from getting to close.

Only hang plastic ornaments at the bottom of the tree and the breakable one up top and out of reach.

Keep any chocolates covered and out of reach of your cat because it is poisonous to cats.

Keep all cords tied and away from the cat and only plug them in when you can keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn't chew on them.

• 1 decade ago

1. NO TINSEL. Cats love it, they eat it, and it messes with their intestines, as well as cuts them up when they pass it.

2. Make sure any indoor lights are where she cannot get to them, and taped/stapled down to the wall firmly. I once had a cat that passed (pooped out) and entire and whole Christmas light. There was not lasting damage, thank goodness, but his poor behind was tore up for awhile.

3. Delicate or dangerous ornaments (glass/pointy) should be kept towards the top of the tree, and even then there are no guarantees that your cat will not climb it. Plastic, safe ornaments can go along the bottom part of your tree, because she WILL bat at them. If she does climb the tree, nip it in the bud early if possible. Just use the old tried and true cat deterrent; a spray bottle filled with water.

4. Tape cords together with electrical tape, keep them neat, and if possible, hide them behind furniture or tape them up high. You will still need to watch her though, and again, spritz her with a little water mist if she gets near them.

5. Watch you presents. Bows, ribbons, and crinkly paper are SO tempting for a cat, especially a kitten.

Good luck :)

• music
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Sorry for 0.5 guffawing as quickly as I observed your question, right here is the certainty. Tinsel is an excellent no no, they could consume it, and its of course aint stable. After that, sorry, there is not something risk-free on your place! There merely isn't any 'volatile' decorations, yet your kitten is gonna look at yule as being an excellent ol playground. The balls on the bushes, the lighting fixtures that flash. each and every 3 hundred and sixty 5 days, my cat knocks my tree. She climbs into the middle of it, and pounches on the lighting fixtures, or balls or something that on the bloody tree. yet we merely chortle at it..you are able to think of the fright she gets whilst it falls over! ha ha! each and every 3 hundred and sixty 5 days is a relentless freshen up as quickly as I get returned from artwork, yet its humorous in its in basic terms way, and my cat is 3! Its a relaxing time for cats, or perhaps funnier for their vendors!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.