Victorian, uncomplicated girl names?

I'm looking to name our new baby girl and am hoping to stay away from modern, cutsy, can't spell or say it names, such as my own.

I don't want to condemn my child to the same fate I've lived with the last 30 years.

Can anyone think of any timeless names, that aren't over used? I kind of like lissbeth, or emily...

those sort of names.

15 Answers

Relevance
  • ells
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Elinor, Catherine, Margaret, Anne, Victoria, Mary

Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Mary, Anna, Margaret, Helen, Elizabeth, Ruth, Florence, Ethel, Emma, Marie, Clara, Alice, Lillian, Grace, Annie, Mabel, Ida, Rose, Hazel, Martha, Pearl, Frances, Edith, Sarah, Ella, Eva, Laura, Elsie, Louise, Catherine, Carrie, Lily/Lilly/Lillie, Julia, Cora, Lena, Josephine

All names taken from http://www.babynamesgarden.com/victorian.aspx

• 1 decade ago

There are names such as:

Gwendolyn

Cordelia

Juliette

Ethel

Susannah

Dorothy

Edith

That never really go out of style but all the same aren't over used like Emily or Sarah. My favourite is Evangeline and Clementine..

• Max
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Claire, Lucy, Elizabeth, Kate, Charlotte, Jane, Emily, Grace, Anne, Cora, Victoria, Sarah, Beatrice, Mary, Annabel, Claudia, Pheobe, Bridget, Harriet, Hannah, Hillary. Not sure these names are what you are looking for, but I agree with you about good sensible names. Good luck.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Emma

Victoria

Elizabeth

Sarah

Kristen

Christa

Rebeca

Melissa

Jessica

Mary

Maria

Alexandria

Johanna

Sherry

Lori

Laura

Sheryl

Kathrine

Jean

Dawn

Heather

Tammy

Barbra

Lisa

Julia

Christina

Juliana

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Charlotte.

• 1 decade ago

Hazel

• 1 decade ago

Elizabeth

Florence

Ruth

Josephine

Emma

Victoria

Rose

Hazel

Gertrude

Edith

Catherine

Matilda

• 1 decade ago

I know exactly what you mean about unusual names, I have to live with one and spell it out all the time! Check out this page, full of traditional and not so traditional names! http://www.babywonderland.co.uk/parenthood/baby_na...

• 1 decade ago

My daughters name is Charlotte and she calls herself Lottie, she was going to be Martha and I think Ruby is nice too.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.