About US Presidents: How come I am yet to see an Asian-American, or Hispanic run for president?

I know we have as many Asian-Americans, and Hispanics as other minorities. I think it is time for them to join the political movements of this country. I want to see more Mexicans, Vietnamese, Chinese heritages run for office sometime soon, like blacks and whites always do.

• alex s
    Favorite Answer

they need to have the similar associations as our newly elected president........obama

Source(s): seeing is believing

It really was not that long ago that the great debate raged over whether a Catholic should be allowed in the White House. There are people alive today who remember what it was like before the Civil Rights movement - they remember being segregated.

America has progressed a long way, but it just has not been that long.

Bill Richardson counts on both. He is Mexican, covering the Hispanic part.

But belief holds that the Native Americans are descended of Asian tribes that crossed a land bridge between Russia and Alaska before it broke apart. Therefore, all Hispanics are also part Asian, and so Bill Richardson also covers Asians.

• chorle

God forbid we did what we did for Obama and voted the best candidate regardless of race.

I believe there was a Quarter native American Vice President but that was long ago.

I thought whites were now the minority.

Maybe because they haven't stepped up for the job, have the right qualifications, haven't worked hard enough to get there, don't have the backing, or maybe don't have the charisma or popularity. There are a multitude of reasons. Why should it even matter what race the person is? Shouldn't it only matter how good a job they do?

Bill Richardson, a Democratic candidate who ran in the primary lost, he is an Hispanic So you are wrong about that . .I admit the Republican primary consisted of all angry white men racing at a chance to bash gay people and ship illegals back. That is why The Republicans lost the Hispanic vote, Big-Time . . lol

One reason we have not yet had an Asian candidate so far, maybe because only 8% of the Asian population votes.

• CRFI

Barak Obama’s electoral victory expresses the need both of the rulers and the ruled to overcome an unbearable situation, inherited from the Bush Administrations years: deterioration of living conditions, growing unemployment, a ballooning consumer, corporate, and public debt, gigantic deficits, recession and a financial catastrophe - together with an equally catastrophic impasse in the international “war on terror” in the Middle East and Central/ South Asia.

The new Obama Administration is an instrument at the hands of US imperialism to manage its crisis; its policies inescapably at some point will clash violently with the great expectations risen in the masses of workers and oppressed minorities mobilized for its victory.

Nope, just ask yourself, would you attend a church that your mother would be uncomfortable attending? It is not just Republicans who are questioning Obama, I think most of the stink from this issue has come from within the Democratic party itself. And lastly just becaue someone is of mixed race, this does not preclude them from being racist. I personally do not think Obama is Racist, but his pastor certainly comes across as racist. If this man has been listening to Rev Wright for 20 years and just quietly absorbed this hate speak, what does that tell you about what kind of leader he will be when it comes to working for America? This would not be the only factor in my decision, but it deserves scrutiny and it deserves reflexion.

• JOHN C

You have to be born in the US to be president and even 50 years old is considered fairly young for a president.

There were very few Asians and Hispanics in America 50 years ago. (There are still very few Asians.)

Furthermore, half the people who become president come from multi-generational wealth that only whites have.

Hispanics and Asians contributed to this country more than Blacks and they're still enduring discrimination today, but nobody want to acknowledge that.

• winnie

One step at a time, baby.

While we like to think that we live in a 'color blind' country, we really don't. You have to knock down those road blocks one at a time. Obama is a big step in the right direction, to end racism, at least in the majority, once and for all.