If I was born in the U.S., but my parents immigrated here...?

...am I American despite having the origin from a different country? My parents come from the Dominican Republic. Many people from there believe that one's bloodline is more important than a place of birth and upbringing. Some may say that a birth certificate is just a piece of paper, and even though I'm born and brought up in the U.S., I'm still Dominican because of my bloodline.

What do you readers think?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If you were born on American soil, you are a natural American citizen, regardless of your heritage.

You're both. You're a citizen of the United States with a heritage and past in the Dominican Republic. There's no saying you can't be both.

• 1 decade ago

You label yourself Dominican so yes, you're "bloodline" is Dominican and you are a U.S. Born Citizen. You're also a First Generation of Dominican American because your parents weren't born in the U.S.

America is a melting pot; there's is no real origin here except for the Native Americans.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

That is a legal document stating that you are from and were born here, that fact that your bloodline comes from another country doesn't mean you're not american. My bloodline is from Denmark, but I was born here. I don't know a word of Danish. I may be American but I'm still a Dane.

• 1 decade ago

My parents are immigrants also. You are American. There is nothing wrong with having a little pride in your origins, but if you aren't American, maybe you should leave so that you don't make the rest of us real Americans look bad.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

You are a citizen in America. I am a first generation American and I understand! Your bloodline is your nationality, not your citizenship.

• 1 decade ago

Yes you are Dominican by blood, American by citizen.

• 1 decade ago

ok in terms of ethnicity you are what your parents are but nationality well you're an american...

• 1 decade ago

You are what you feel you are.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.