From a Christian perspective what do you think about joining the Navy?

Favorite Answer

I am a Christian and joining the Army. God put His people where He needs them. If you are being called to serve then do & God Bless.

Your average matelot has a very level attitude to religion.

We have a tendency to regard them all roughly equally, in that we don't care, in general, over much about any of them.

This is the Royal Navy I'm talking about... so the US Navy may well be different.

Given that this is a international website, specifying which country you're talking about would normally be considered helpful.

King David was a warrior and also a man after God's own heart - I see no conflict of interest in being a Christian in the military.

If you have to join or have the calling go ahead; from a christian point of view we have the law of the land to obey (if you are being asked to join and you are able) and if you feel that is the way you can help your fellow human go ahead.... May God lead you to make the right decision.

There are plenty of active Christians in today's military. Many depend upon their faith to help get them through the rough times and to do the best that they can, no matter their job. You will find chapels on every military base, along with active duty Chaplains, there for the spiritual guidance of our men and women.

In our current congregation, we have fighter pilots, aircraft maintainers, Security forces, Docs, etc. If you feel that you can best serve God and mankind by joining the military, then go for it!

Source(s): AF spouse - 20 years, and Lutheran
  • Lissy

For one... you would still be helping the American war machine along.

But, on the other hand, most navy positions are relatively peaceful.

Even the Seals, who specialize in taking out the worst of the worst international criminals.

But most navy positions are basically non-violent, and centered on helping out people who might have joined the military under the pretense that they were helping out our nation.

Such as delivering mail to those overseas, transporting people. It's a largely non-violent job, and I wouldn't have any qualms if my husband wanted to rejoin unless they sent him to Gitmo to bash people's heads in.

I think that it's perfectly ok to be a Christian in the navy, as long as you are willing to stand up for your beliefs and defy orders that might hurt innocents if necessary.

Source(s): Christian navy wife... My husband is a mech for radar planes that look for threats to our nation.

its a good job with great benifets and a steady pay check,

im a Christian and i joined the Marines and i cant wait.

• Lu W

I don't know why it would affect joining the military.

I'd rather be a good Christian and help people, instead of bombing them.