Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

The best ingredient to use as a substitute for buttermilk in a recipe?

milk, butter, veg oil, or yogurt.

has to be one of these.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Somebody else actually asked the same question about 4 months ago, so here's my same answer:

Buttermilk Equivalents and Measures

• 1 cup buttermilk = 1 cup yogurt

• 1 cup buttermilk = 1 cup milk PLUS 1 Tbsp vinegar or lemon juice (let stand for 10 minutes before using in recipe)

• 1 cup buttermilk = 1 cup milk PLUS 1-3/4 teaspoons cream of tartar

• 1 cup buttermilk = 1 cup water PLUS 4 Tbsp powdered buttermilk

(reconstitute before using or add dry to dry ingredients and wet to wet ingredients before mixing

• 1 cup buttermilk = 1/4 cup milk PLUS 3/4 cup yogurt

So if u have no vinegar or lemon juice, use yogurt ( hopefully u have the plain kind, I don't think flavored would work...)

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

You can substitute buttermilk with other ingredients like-- 1.Yogurt 2.1 cup milk+1 tb sp vinegar or lemon juice. 3.1 cup milk+1tsp cream of tartar 4. 1 cup water+powdered buttermilk 5. 1 cup milk+yogurt

• Eric S
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Milk with either vinegar or lemon juice added. Buttermilk is acidic and that is important in some recipes.

• 1 decade ago

Regular milk will be fine,

But you could make buttermilk if you add a big Tablespoon of vinegar to 1 cup of regular milk, stir and let set for 5 minutes. It will curdle as it sets. Do it all the time......

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Milk then add a little vinegar and you will have buttermilk

• 1 decade ago

Yogurt. I use milk with lemon juice instead of using vinegar as others have suggested.

• 1 decade ago

Either milk with a couple of drops of vinegar, or just use some natural yoghurt mixed with milk to thin it.

• 1 decade ago

Michael B is correct. Use the same amount of milk with a few drops of vinegar to it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.