Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Do atheists reject God, or simply dismiss him?

I'd like answers from both sides, please.

Favorite Answer

How can you reject or dismiss something you don't believe in?

Okay then: I reject purple unicorns and the tooth fairy as well.

I am an agnostic btw. Is there a huge difference between rejecting and dismissing God? The answer is, there ISN'T a huge difference. The only slight difference is that rejecting is a stronger term, that's all. Bottom line is, atheists just don't believe in God. Reject, dismiss, whatever. In the end, it comes down to the same thing. For them, God is non-existant, not real, whatever you prefer to call it. It's very black and white.

It depends on the atheist, I simply don't believe in god because there's no evidence... I nor reject or dismiss god any more than I reject or dismiss batman. I can't really reject something I don't believe is real, nor dismiss something I don't believe is real.

And no, atheists do not believe we are god, contrary to what the person above says. At least no atheist I have ever met does.

I wouldn't consider myself atheist or agnostic, or anything for that matter. I would say I just don't care. I don't care about religion and I don't plan on basing my life off any of them or the gods they talk about. It is logical for someone to believe in god because it explains things we cannot. It makes sense that a higher power is at work, but it doesn't make it true. I figure I am a good person, whether I believe in a religion or not and if there is a god he/she should see that. If there is a god controlling my fate than it doesn't really matter what I do. If there isn't a god I am not going to live my life based off of a book or what a group of people say. We are all human beings, all different in many ways, but we all share one thing in common. That is everyone wants to be happy. I feel that religions that try and tell people how to live or who to accept is wrong. We are all people just the same and I am not going to live forever so why do I care what other people do or believe in? Believing in a god makes life simpler and a little less scary, but it doesn't make my life. My answer is I don't know if there is one, so I just don't care.

• ?

Since they don't believe He exists there is, in their view, nothing to reject or dismiss. What they reject and dismiss are the arguments purporting to prove God does exist and the people who never stop repeating them.

I think dismiss more than reject - in my case anyway. Everything attributed to a deity can be explained by natural processes. A deity is therefore unnecessary. Also, to reject something I would have to accept that it exists. Given the definition of atheism, that wouldn't make any sense.

You can't dismiss/reject something that isn't there in the first place.

I lack a belief in god because there is no evidence for that hypothesis.

I think a better question would be "Why do theists claim that there is certainly a god and what evidence can they provide?"

If you dont believe in god how can you reject him? A true atheist will dismiss him

• That's sort of like asking whether a person rejects Darth Vader or simply dismisses him.

Either way, "he" just doesn't exist as anything other than a fictional character.

There is nothing to reject or dismiss. Where is the proof, just a little. None. So that is not reality to me and out the window it goes.