mark d
mark d asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 1 decade ago

Is it possible to be born with white hair (congential), have it throughout adulthood, and not be 'albino'?

I'm writing a fictional story, within a more or less 'realistic' context. There is a character who I'm envisioning as having short-ish white hair, blue eyes, but a more or less 'normal' skintone.

I'm kind of wondering first of all if this is possible from birth. I'm not sure if congenital white hair that persists through one's life is really a common affair outside of albinism. Meaning a normalish skin tone, and otherwise no clear other deficiencies or illnesses at the root, as the character himself is pretty much ideally healthy.

*note: TL;DR/'too much information' version ahead:

To be honest he's something of a 'canon Marty Stu/ Mary Sue", only with lots of flaws and (what I consider) believable character development, and he's placed in the position of a sort of morally/ethically-gray anti-villain set in a sort of 'passive opposition' to (ie: apathetic of) the main character (the main character wishes to receive some sort of justice due to a betrayal. You might think 'Naruto and Sasuke" only it's not nearly as lame and way more messed up, IMO. More along the lines of 'Guts and Griffith' if aware of the Berserk series.

Anyways, he's a relatively important character that I place a lot of stock in, playing such an important role in the story. And the story isn't in some super-unrealistic sci fi universe where people all have naturally weird hair colors and no one bats an eye. It essentially takes place within our universe, but obviously fictionalized and I take great artistic liberties, etc.

So yeah, I'm taking this seriously and just want to make sure I'm not 'in the wrong' to have such an important character in a more or less realistic story be otherwise so unrealistic.

I otherwise feel the white hair is somewhat symbolic of role in the story. He is very charismatic and is cast as a sort of "leader of the people", and white hair is very striking and attention grabbing... so I thought giving such an amazingly charismatic and 'larger than life' character such a rare hair color, congenitally, could kind of be an interesting statement about how he 'inherited' (or was destined for) his role as a leader; merely from being born the way he was, and living the life that he has. So I'm not exactly just seeing it as some casual afterthought about his character, or purely as some sort of novelty.

Favorite Answer

yes you can! i know someone who had white hair and had it from the time she was born till now ans she is over 25. it is a birthmark. a few of her kids have it too. nothing else wrong just patches of white hair!

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avuoZ

I know a girl in this situation. Her family is black and she has white skin, blue eyes and blonde hair. She is still considered black.

absolutely. the white hair is often called white blond or even platinum blond. i think it's caused by a recessive gene.

yes absolutely