Was Abraham Lincoln a good president?

and why

Update:

lol hahaha i feel slow now...hmmm i was just testing u guys lol what r u talking about..i knew that XP

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It's funny how a question like this would come up since O'Bama is now President Elect. You should have studied this in school or done some Research on your own, instead of posting your question on Yahoo Q&A. Your History is different from our History or our point of view. You wouldn't understand at all.

• Lissy
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Not in my opinion. Firstly, he ran on a party of protectionism for the Northern states. He hiked taxes on the Southern states so that the Northern States could "compete". Pestered the Southern States so much with high taxes, and legislation until the Southern States had HAD it and withdrew from Washington, and decided to use their Constitutional right to secede.

The slavery issue didn't come up until much later in the war, and honestly, that was the ONLY good thing that Lincoln ever did.

He tromped all OVER states rights, and made our nation of UNITED states, one giant state.

Every other civilized country in the world got rid of slavery WITHOUT starting a civil war.

Thanks to Lincoln, we were the exception.

He did do more than any other president to expand the size and scope of the Federal Government, except for (maybe) FDR.

• 1 decade ago

In the way he freed the slaves yes. But how he did it no. The fact is the north simply grew faster than the south and the need for slaves became obsolete quicker. It would have died out on its own given time and i think if they were willingly freed things would be easyer and theyre wouldnt have been as much racial tension.

• Mike
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

The best ever.

He bound the nation together thru a VERY unpopular war which nobody wanted, and was re-elected. He really pissed off the South by freeing the slaves ONLY in the states who were at war with the US, which is political genious. He is the only president to suspend the writ of habeas corpus and get away without loss of political capital.

there are many other reasons.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Worst president ever! The most Americans killed in a war ever and that was a war on American soil. A war that did not need to be fought if only Lincoln allow the Southern states their freedom.

• 1 decade ago

no cause even though he set them free they were still just as bad off. now instead of being forced to work for farmer brown he can choose to work for him. now farmer brown gives him 10% of the crop and gives him room and board and food and supplies for his family in exchange for labor, but it's not enough save for a place of his own, so he has no where else to go so now he's a figurative slave.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Should he have just let the south go? Would've solved a lot of problems.

• 1 decade ago

read your history books. How about Freed the slaves? Is consistently sited as the best president in US History.

• 1 decade ago

Sure was pretty much stopped slavery.

how many presidents can say they did that?

only one. good old Abe.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

gettysburg address. freed the slaves. all around good guy. honest too

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.