Booya
Booya asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

Why are Americans so fat?

We are the fattest nation on earth and we all wonder why Health Care cost so much.

But WHY are we so dam fat?

ok that being said, will free health care help us or hurt us? Is health care a RIGHT?

Clive, good point however dont be trying to take away Americas fattest nation title buddy, we earned that one. LOL

. I can agree with that however mexicans also come here to get free heath care and then return to Mexico so free heath care for every American will not stop that.

Favorite Answer

Good point. Let me say it another way and tell me what you think.

The United States of America is the only country in the world who's poorest people in the nation are obese.........

• KylieV

When I was a kid we played, that is how we got our exercise. My brother and I would wake up at dawn on the weekends and have the Shetland pony caught before 7, we would ride her a while, then we rode bikes instead of driving a scooter, we kept busy. You would have never found us sitting in front of the TV all day watching MTV or playing video games because none of that existed at that time. When we turned the channel we had to get up to do that and there were just 4 channels, no cable. We didn't have a fast food restaurant on every corner and even if we did get some kind of fattening treat it was only when my dad took us to the malt shop on Saturday's and only Saturday's.

I hate to say this but the USA is a lazy country. Technology is killing us!

Americans are not the only folk on the planet who are fat. Fatness is spreading fast around the Globe. It's even started to become a common problem in parts of Africa and Asia.

Here in UK we are now bloated to bursting point.

What is the cause?

The cause is simply 'wealth'. In a capitalist society people's needs are taken care of. There is more food than anyone knows what to do with, due to improved production methods etc.

Result; instead of a one eighth pound burger, we're all eating half pounders.

All we need to do in simple terms is throw away the bun and just eat the meat and relish.

Fat Pensioner of London UK

Added note: my grandfather who fought in WW-one, noted how much bigger American soldiers were as compared to British soldiers. That was in 1918. So Big is not new. But we're all getting bigger.

United Fats of America

The fatty countries are the richest countries. Spoiled by wealth, choice & convenience. The US is fattest because it's been richest longest and has in the last 50 years completely changed their collective eating habits. You now eat processed foods packed with fats and carbohydrates.

And laziness doesn't help either. How many people in America like to go for a walk?

• birdie

They elect idiots who vote against disclosure about non-food ingredients ie "corporate fraud" in a tongue-in-cheek way.

I may be riffing on this but it is serious what the Genetically Modified Corporations are doing in the courts. They are truing to put regular farmers out of business. A BRAZILIAN frickin FIRMs right now trying to buy up most of the US as in United States of American Beef business... Care? Don't care. You are the voter who put these ******* in office! Bush and buddies.

google it...

There are so many fast food chains, coffee shops etc. People have grown lazy to the point where eating health and excercise is just not easy for them any more. Its easier to order a pizza while they watch tv waiting for it to be delivered or to run to the nearest fast food place to get a quick dinner.

Look at all of the **** that is in our food. Bovine growth hormones, MSG, aspartame, sorbitol, among other things that you can't even pronounce (and are expected to eat).

Health care costs so much because of the people who use the E.R. like a walk in free clinic and call an ambulance for a cold. Seriously, I had neighbors that did both of those things constantly.

Cheap FastFood, TVs, Big Comfy Houses, Cars,

There are a few reasons: bad diets (too much fast food) and a sedentary lifestyle (driving everywhere instead of walking/public transit) are the most important.