Can I put XP on a Imac?

I recently received a Original Imac. I am a windows user and the games I want to play are windows only, and old.

Can I use the I mac like a windows computer? or is there a way to have Windows XP run within Mac OS 9.0.4?

Favorite Answer

No, and yes, but it isn't worth it.

You cannot run Windows natively (aka just pop in the CD and install it.). It can be run in an emulator, but on a G3, emulating the hardware needed to run Windows is painfully slow, and not at all useful for playing games.

The easiest way to install Windows XP on any Mac is to use newly introduced program known as BootCamp which is only available in Leopard. On the other hand, Tiger and previous versions of Mac OS X could dual boot Windows OS although it requires BIOS manipulation. Anyways, the easiest way is through Leopard which is the only Mac OS X with integrated BootCamp. Just pop in your Windows XP cd installer and wait for the setup window to appear. Another procedure is to go to BootCamp and wait for a window that prompts you to install a Windows OS.

First of all to other answerers, he is talking about an original iMac... not something that you can run parallels on.

You can't install it as usual.

You'd probably be able to run XP in a virtual machine, but like another person said, it would be painfully slow (even Jezzball would run slower than molasses).

You might have more luck installing linux and using WINE but even that probably wouldn't be good enough for what you want to do.

Sorry. :)

To use windows on a mac, you will need bootcamp or parallel. Bootcamp comes with Mac OS X Leopard, and parallels is kind of expensive, http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/