Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

If you believe in a religion. do you think it is the only true religion?

Favorite Answer

Yep... Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life. Nobody gets to the father except through Him!

If I didn't think it was the truth, than why would I follow it?

:)

I grew up in a small minority religion, Judaism. We were taught that there is wisdom in -all- religions, that we believe this and others believe what they believe.

When I was a kid I was shocked one day to hear one of my Christian friends tell me that their religion was the only 'true' one. (Actually he was Catholic). I had never considered that there might be 'one true religion', it was a new idea to me and I found it disturbing! remember asking our rabbi if we thought Judaism was the one true religion. He laughed. "Judaism is the one true religion," he answered, "for a Jew."

But as I got older I came to realize that Jews are different from Christians not just in -what- they believe, but -how-. Christianity is all about salvation, and you are saved by belief, so doctrines become very important and how good a Christian you are depends more or less on how well you embrace these doctrines. Judaism is not so much about belief, about doctrines, it is more about moral/ethical principles. It's not about salvation but about living the best you can while you're here, and we'll deal with the next life when we get there. So Jews don't actually -believe- much in the way of doctrines. Judaism is very open to alternate views, alternate interpretations. Judaism tends to be very agnostic.

Since then I have read about many religions, and talked to people, and I have learned that there -is- wisdom in all religions. You can learn something from any of them. But you have to be open-minded, you nave to first give up the idea that only YOUR religion is 'true'.

I'm a muslim. I believe that most religions are "true religions" and were established based on God's word during particular times of need during the history of man's social growth.

As a muslim, I believe that Islam is the most complete and comprehensive religion.

• Leela

I don't believe in a religion, I recently became an atheist thanks to using the ol noggin and looking at the greater picture, I had to agree with Richard Dawkins and others that religion is totally bogus.

I think most people think they are right in their religion, otherwize what are they doing in it? Commit or get out! I prefer getting out

I dont believe in religions. If i believe in god, there's no way in hell im following a set, specific religion. I'll believe what i want to, mix and match.

But yes, most do think it's the true one.

I'm a unitarian universalist buddhist! I pretty much believe in buddhism but that its not the only way and that i respect other religions and completly believe that their are other ways to reach enlightenment!

well, i dont think that there is such a thing as a "true religion". so no i guess i dont think so. and my spiritual beliefs, if they are true, would be true to the exclusion of all other spiritual beliefs. but i have no way of knowing that do i?

Source(s): agnostic deist

I pick and choose my own beliefs by evaluating the evidence, other people's experiences, and my own intuition. I don't belong to any group where such decisions have already been made for me.

let God be true and every man a liar..Romans 3:4

Certainly not! Indeed, let God be true but every man a liar. As it is written:“ That You may be justified in Your words,And may overcome when You are judged.”

No one would join a religion they diidn't think was true.